- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Daniel Alfredsson will be targeted by the Penguins and Bruins if the Senators fall out of the playoff race. Wayne Scanlan via twitter: Alfredsson on the possibility of moving to a contender like the Bruins at the trade deadline, ”as of now, no but never say never.”
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Alfredsson on Senators future.
“It’s flattering if teams are interested in me,” said Alfredsson this morning. “But for me, I want to keep this thing going until we’re in the playoffs. I think if we were to fall out of that race, there would be more speculation. But that’s not something I’m really giving any thought. My focus last summer was whether I still had it in me to come back. After the season we had last year, the biggest reason (he returned) was the way that we played.
“Obviously we’re in tougher this year, but I think we can we can still make the playoffs. As of right now, (he wouldn’t want to be moved), but never say never. We’re in the playoff race, and I hope we can continue and stay here. It’s definitely where my focus is, and I’m not thinking or worrying about anything else.”
- Jimmy Murphy via twitter: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said that they are in a spot to add early in the trade front but will wait and see what happens.
- Lance Hornby via twitter: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis on Jake Gardiner’s possible recall: ”It will work itself out. Last 2 or 3 games he’s been dominant. We’ll have to find a way to make room.”
- Sportsnet: Nonis on Sportsnet 590 the Fan yesterday morning:
“Is there a chance (Connolly) will be back (in the NHL)? No question,” Nonis told Brady and Lang in the morning. “We’ve had teams call on him. I would expect at some point whether it’s with us or someone else that he’ll be back in the NHL before the season’s over.”
- Arthur Staple of Newsday: Islanders GM Garth Snow isn’t giving up on his struggling young players or dumping veterans for draft picks.
“As I’ve said many times, if there’s an opportunity to upgrade our roster and make the team better, we’ll do it, but not at the expense of our young guys or prospects,” Snow told Newsday here on Wednesday, a day off for the Islanders before Thursday night’s game with the Canadiens. “We’re not going to mortgage our future to make a quick fix. That’s not our plan.”
- Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: Dater thinks that Avalanche defenseman Shane O’Brien is on the trade block.