- Bruce Garrioch via twitter: Jarome Iginla and Flames haven’t had any serious contract talks. Many believe that Iginla will be traded, but GM Jay Feaster shouldn’t expect to hit a home run with the pending UFA.
“I’m just not sure what kind of impact he would make and you’re going to have to give up a lot if you are going to get him,” said one league executive. “You’re talking about prospects and draft picks. Is it worth it?”
Teams that aren’t happy right now with their play: the Avalanche, Panthers, Flyers and Jets.
There will be a lot of interest in defenseman Ran Hainsey. He plays 24 minutes a game and leads the league in blocked shots. The Jets would likely look for a 2nd round pick in return.
The Canadiens would like to find a taker for Erik Cole and his $4.5 million cap hit through next year. Garrioch suggests the Hurricanes.
If Corey Perry decides to leave the Ducks and come east as a UFA, there will be plenty of interest: Maple Leafs, Sabres, Bruins, Senators and Red Wings.
Capitals GM George McPhee is working the phones and could look to free up money by trading Troy Brouwer ($2.35 million through 2015-16), Joel Ward ($3 million through 2014-15) and Jason Chimera ($1.75 through 2013-14).
The Avalanche could be moving Ryan O’Reilly soon. The Rangers, Flyers, Maple Leafs and Hurricanes have been involved in talks. Garrioch wouldn’t be surprised if O’Reilly ended up in Carolina.
The Flyers have been looking for a defenseman, but there aren’t many available. The Flyers couldn’t find a fit with the Sharks, who have depth on the blueline. Sharks GM Doug Wilson isn’t shopping players, but he is listening to offers.
- Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun: Koshan isn’t suggesting that Maple Leafs defenseman John-Michael Liles has played his last game in a Maple Leafs uniform, but he has been a healthy scratch for the last [four] games and could be on borrowed time. Jake Gardiner won’t be with the Marlies for much longer, and Morgan Rielly will be given a chance to make the team next year.
- David Pagnotta via twitter: In addition to the Winter Classic, there will likely be 2 more outdoor games and a heritage classic. Dennis Bernstein via twitter: Source saying Heritage Classic to Vancouver or Edmonton.
- Jim Matheson via twitter: Oilers Ryan Whitney was a healthy scratch for the 5th time in the last 9 games. Something has to come to head soon.
- David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News: Sharks Ryan Clowe could be facing a suspension up to 10 games for leaving the bench with less than a minutes to go in a game against the Blackhawks to avenge a hit teammate Joe Pavelski. He was suspended pending a hearing on Monday.