Five Bruins targets … Weiss and Theodore available? Richards Buyout? Outdoor Games … Scouting Avs-Ducks
- Updated: February 25, 2013
- James Murphy of ESPN Boston: The Bruins may be looking to add some scoring depth, a top-6 forward. Murphy lists 5 trade targets: Jarome Iginla – if GM Jay Feaster comes down on a price to say a 1st round pick and prospects. Michael Ryder – could cost a prospect or pick. Stephen Weiss – could move him to the wing and would be depth at center if an injury occurs. Ryane Clowe – Sharks GM Dough Wilson has said no one is untouchable and it may not cost the Bruins a roster player. Ruslan Fedotenko – would be valuable for the playoffs. Peter Chiarelli has scouted the Flyers 3 times in the last 10 days.
- Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel: The Red Wings and Senators are looking for a center and Panthers center Stephen Weiss is in need of a change in scenery. Jacob Markstrom is ready to get his shot as the Panthers main guy. Scott Clemmensen is under contract through next season. Jose Theodore’s deal expires at the end of this season. TSN pointed out that the Bruins aren’t deep in net.
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: With Brad Richards‘ early struggles and the salary cap going down from $70.2 million to $64.3 million next season, Brooks floats the idea of the amnesty buyout option of Richards for the Rangers. The Rangers currently have about $10 million in cap space for next season with 5 roster spots to fill. RFA’s include Ryan McDonagh, Derek Stepan and Carl Hagelin. Richards carries a $6.67 million cap hit for the next 6 years.
- The Fourth Period: Multiple sources are saying that the NHL is considering multiple outdoor games next year, with the first being the Winter Classic between the Maple Leafs and Red Wings at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor. The NHL may be looking at getting a game at Yankee Stadium. A game at Dodger Stadium in LA has also been discussed. There has been talk of having a game in each of the Canada’s 7 markets, Minnesota, Denver and Washington. The Flyers, Sabres, Penguins, Bruins and Blackhawks have hosted a Winter Classic already and are options for future games. The Heritage Classic could be head in either Vancouver or Edmonton.
- Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: Heika thinks with Michael Ryder’s contract expiring at the end of the year, he’s a candidate to be moved.
- Adrian Dater via Sulia: Eastern conference teams that scouted the Avalanche-Ducks game last night: Rangers, Sabres, Hurricanes, Flyers, Lightning, Canadiens, Bruins and Jets.
- Aaron Portzline via twitter: The Blue Jackets recall Ryan Johansen.
← Previous Story Injury Notes: Malkin, Kiprusoff, Reimer, Brodeur and Gustavsson.