- Scott Cruickshank of the Calgary Herald: Flames Miikka Kiprusoff is getting close to returning to the lineup, and could be back as soon as Wednesday.
“The medical staff felt he was good to go with having his own net (Monday),” said Hartley, meaning Kiprusoff absorbed the lion’s share of shots, despite there being two other goalies — Joey MacDonald and Danny Taylor — on the premises. “We’re very careful. But, at the same time, he told me after practice that he felt great, that he had no pain.”Kiprusoff won’t wear a knee brace, but will have it taped.
“It’s taped right now — that’s what I did last time,” added Kiprusoff. “I finished the (2003-04) season with tape and it was enough to give me support. I know some goalies play with braces, but I’d rather not use (one). I have loose knees and loose hips . . . so I’d like to keep it that way.”
Mikael Backlund is also getting close to returning and will be wearing a knee brace. He skated yesterday with a no-contact jersey on.
“Yeah, it feels good,” he said. “I can do everything. The next step is the contact, being able to battle and stuff and see how that feels. We’ll see when that is, but it felt good (Monday). I’ve pushed hard two days now. Every day, waking up, it’s been a better day. I’m happy with that and happy with the progress . . . faster than projected.”
- Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal: Oilers Taylor Hall is still dealing with a hamstring injury and Jordan Eberle didn’t skate yesterday because of a bruised hand. Both will skate this morning, with their game availability decided upon after. The Oilers will get an update on Nikolai Khabibulin in the next day or two. Defenseman Mark Fistric returned to Edmonton to have his elbow looked at. Corey Potter (concussion) is nearing his return. Shawn Horcoff is hoping to get back in the lineup next week.
- Shawn Mitchell via twitter: Blue Jackets defenseman John Moore is expected to miss two to three weeks with a shoulder injury.
- Shawn Mitchell via twitter: Blue Jackets center Brandon Dubinsky, out with a left knee sprain, is still ” a few days away” but progressing according to coach Richards.
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: Predators defenseman Hal Gill is out with a lower-body injury and was “doubtful” for games on Friday and Saturday. He is skating, but not very hard.