- Ansar Khan of MLive: The Red Wings will determine over the next couple weeks if they will be buyers or sellers. They won’t be looking for depth type players unless they have another string of injuries. If they are to make a move, they could be looking to add a top-four defenseman or a top-six forward. Finding one of those won’t be easy and won’t come cheap.
“First off, we got to win some games; we got to be in a position where we think we’re a playoff team and it makes good business sense,” Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. “If we don’t win enough games, that decision is going to be made for me.
“We got to assess our team over the next 2-3 weeks and see if we’re in a position to be a playoff team. Then we’ll explore.”
Defenseman that could be available: Jay Bouwmeester, Lubomir Visnovsky, Mark Streit, Ryan Whitney, Robyn Regehr and Ron Hainsey.
- Insider Trading Video: Realignment agreed upon, Senators, Soderberg, staged fighting, Senators, Laraque and McKinnon.
- Bob McKenzie via twitter: The Senators are looking to add a physical player, preferably one that can drop the gloves.
- Darren Dreger via twitter: Forward Carl Soderberg is hoping to join the Bruins after the Swedish Elite Leagues playoffs are over. He led the SEL in scoring. Agent JP Barry notes Soderberg as the best player in Sweden and should get lots of NHL interest if the Bruins let him go to free agency. One NHL team said that Soderberg is a solid 2nd line center. The Bruins like how Soderberg can also play the wing. Joe Haggerty via twitter: Haggerty confirms that there have been discussions between the Bruins and Soderberg.
- Joe Haggerty via twitter: The Bruins third line has been struggling and they could look to bring in a winger that would help fix the problem. The Bruins have been scouting Ryane Clowe. Jarome Iginla, Brendan Morrow and Ryan Smyth are others that might be on their trade watch list.
- Mark Spector via twitter: Oilers won’t get much for defenseman Ryan Whitney at this rate. His foot speed has taken a big hit.
- Ansar Khan of MLive: Red Wings defenseman Ian White is having trouble cracking the Red Wings lineup and spoke with GM Ken Holland about it yesterday. He hasn’t asked for a trade, nor expect to be traded. White was a healthy scratch for the fifth time this season last night.
- Andy Strickland of True Hockey: Strickland wonders if the Blues should look at acquiring Avalanche center Paul Stastny. Stastny has one year left on his deal and carries a $6.6 million cap hit. Would the Avs eat some of the contract?
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Sources are saying the Blues are looking for a left handed top-four defenseman that can play with either Alex Pietrangelo or Kevin Shattenkirk. It might have to wait until the summer as it’s not easy to find one.
- Will DePaoli via twitter: One possibility is the Flames trading Jarome Iginla to a contender and then resigning him in the summer. He may not be ready to start making $3-4 million a season.