NHL Rumors: Malkin, Smid, Hemsky, Horcoff, Blackhawks, Capitals, Red Wings, Panthers, Lightning, Leafs, Devils and Scouting LA-CAL
- Updated: March 12, 2013
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: The Penguins can talk to Evgeni Malkin about a contract extension, but can’t re-sign him until the summer. Same goes for the Blackhawks and Jonathan Toews. There hasn’t seemed to be much conversation between the Oilers and soon to be UFA Ladislav Smid. Ales Hemsky’s name will likely come up again this year in trade rumors. Friedman wonders if the Oilers would consider moving Shawn Horcoff.
- The Fourth Period: The Blackhawks would like to add a 2nd or 3rd line center, and their options are growing. Though it’s unlikely he’ll be dealt, the Blackhawks have shown interest in Blue Jackets Derick Brassard. GM Stan Bowman could look at Capitals Mike Ribeiro, who will be a UFA at the end of the season. The Hawks could also look to add a depth defenseman for their 3rd pairing.
- The Fourth Period: Red Wings GM Ken Holland has been trying to bring in an impact player for awhile. He’s looked at Flames Jay Bouwmeester and Coyotes Keith Yandle, but the asking price has been too high. The Wings could look at Sabres Robyn Regehr and Oilers Ladislav Smid. Holland wouldn’t overpay for Ducks Corey Perry as a rental, but may look at Sabres Drew Stafford or someone from the Flames.
- Jeff Gordon of the Post Dispatch: The Panthers are looking to move salary, and the Capitals and Lightning are falling out of the playoff race. The Blue Jackets are in rebuild mode, and the Flames could be following suit. The Blues are looking for a top-four defenseman, but there aren’t many options at the moment. Trade targets for teams that might be interested in adding salary are: Corey Perry, Roberto Luongo, Mike Ribeiro, Jarome Iginla, Brandon Dubinsky, Ryane Clowe, Kris Versteeg, Clarke MacArthur, Jack Johnson, Brian Campbell, Jay Bouwmeester, Jussi Jokinen, Mike Komisarek, Tyler Bozak and Keith Ballard.
- Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Lightning GM Steve Yzerman isn’t giving up on the season just yet. He’s been working the phones.
“To sit here and say, ‘I’m going to do something big,’ there’s nothing big that can be done at this time,” Yzerman said. “It’s not like we just sit here and do nothing all day. You talk to people, you see if there’s anything that makes sense. For a lot of reasons it’s difficult to find a fit, to find the right players, the right salaries to make a trade. You don’t just do something to do it.”
If Yzerman is to make a deal, look for it to be a traditional hockey deal and not a move for a rental.
“Rental players cost you draft picks or young players, we’re not interested in that,” Yzerman said. “That’s why we signed free agents in the summer, to fill those places. If there’s a trade that makes sense where a team has a need and we have a need, then it would be addressed that way.”
The Panthers will listen to offers for Kris Versteeg and Tomas Fleischmann. Fleischmann has two years left at $4.5 million per season and he has a modified no-trade clause. Versteeg has three years left with a cap hit of $4.4 million, but salaries of $4.6 and 4.7 million.
- Bill Watters via twitter: Watters wonders if it’s time to move Phil Kessel. He’s a UFA after next season and this trade deadline may be the ideal time to move him. You’re not going to build a team around him so you do it.
- Bill Watters via twitter: Why are people on Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis to trade John-Michael Liles and Mike Komisarek? He couldn’t give them away due to their lackluster play and bad contracts.
- Brian Huddle via twitter: TSN lists Clarke MacArthur and Nikolai Kulemin as names likely to move at the deadline
- Todd Cordell via twitter: Doug MacLean named the Devils as a potential suitor for Kings goalie Jonathan Bernier.
- Vicki Hall via twitter: Scouting the Kings – Flames game: Rangers, 2 from Boston, Sabres, Penguins, Lightning, Canucks, Blues, Ducks, Predators and Avalanche.