NHL Rumors: Gaustad, Clowe, Peverley, Gardiner, Sabres, Flames, Penguins, Bruins and Oilers
- Updated: 03/13/2013
- Jimmy Murphy via twitter: Murphy is hearing that Predators center Paul Gaustad could be available. He’d be a good fit with the Bruins and several other teams.
- Jimmy Murphy via twitter: The Bruins have a strong interest in Sharks winger Ryane Clowe but the asking price is too high at the moment, a 1st round pick and a prospect.
- Jimmy Murphy via twitter: The Bruins may have been shopping Rich Peverley, but likely not anymore if Chris Kelly will be out for an extended period of time.
- The Fourth Period: The Sabres will likely start making some moves, including defenseman Robyn Regehr and Jordan Leopold. Multiple sources have said that Drew Stafford would welcome a change of scenery. Stafford has two years left at $4 million a year. The Red Wings, Kings, Canucks and Stars are said to be looking for a 2nd line winger. Regehr and Leopold could be moved before the deadline. The Kings, Red Wings, Blues, Predators, Hurricanes and Flyers are looking for Dmen.
- Ben Hankinson via twitter: (Maple Leafs Jake Gardiner’s agent last night) #FreeJakeGardiner. Darren Dreger via twitter: This will get a reaction from the Leafs. Gardiner’s time in the AHL is determined by Randy Carlyle. A swap of Korbinian Holzer and Jake Gardiner was being considered. The trade market for the others isn’t there yet.
- Buckey Gleason via twitter: Sabres Ryan Miller and Jason Pominville have limited no-trade clauses. They would provide a list of eight teams. Tomas Vanek doesn’t have a no trade clause.
- Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald: Trade rumors are swirling around the Calgary Flames and Miikka Kiprusoff, Jarome Iginla, Jay Bouwmeester, Mike Cammalleri, Cory Sarich and Anton Babchuk. Of those names, only Kiprusoff doesn’t have a no-movement or no-trade clause.
“I don’t see any distraction,” Hartley stated firmly. “There’s going to be lots of stuff being said.
“If you want to focus on those things, it’s not going to help our hockey club, that’s for sure.”
“I think the names that are out there are veteran names,” Cammalleri said. “We have been in the business long enough to know why this speculation takes place and what may or may not happen.”
Penguins scout Don Waddell has been watching the Flames the last few weeks. Three Bruins staff watched Saturday’s game and two on Monday.
- Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal: Oilers GM Steve Tambellini said he isn’t unwilling to make moves, but he won’t do it at the expense of youth.
“Whether you’re in the playoffs or not, if you can upgrade your team or improve it, we’ll do that, but most of the people here are the people we’re going to be counting on for some time,” Tambellini said. “You’re not going to give up youth just for a quick fix there, that’s for sure.”
With the April 3rd deadline approaching.
“We need to get closer to that line to know whether or we’re going to be in the playoffs. I’d rather have the focus on how do we get to that line, how do we enhance our team when we get to the deadline,” he said. “But you’re not going to give up on youth just to help you for the next two weeks. It will have to be movement that makes sense for our hockey club.”