NHL Rumors II: Alfredsson, Several Flames, Blackhawks, Maple Leafs and Luongo

• Ian Mendes of Sportsnet: On Daniel Alfredsson trade rumors: “But I can tell you unequivocally, the captain isn’t going anywhere this season. In fact, you can make the argument that Alfredsson has been so good lately, that he should certainly come back for another season with the Senators in 2013-14. But that’s another blog for another day. Today’s piece is about officially putting an end to any trade talk that has surrounded Alfredsson — even though it was way too premature to begin with.”
  • Randy Sportak of the Calgary Sun: The latest rumors have Jarome Iginla being traded to any of the Penguins, Bruins, Kings, Canucks, Flyers or Red Wings. Trade rumors around Jay Bouwmeester involve the Red Wings, Flyers, Blues and Senators. Jarome Iginla on blocking the rumors out,

“I don’t find it hard,” he insisted. “At the beginning, I said the reason (I didn’t want to talk about rumours) is because it doesn’t help the team.

“Then, we start asking each other different questions. I’m going to stick to that and just focus on the games.”

Also in the rumor mill are Miikka Kiprusoff, Matt Stajan, Lee Stempniak, Curtis Glencross, and Mark Giordano.

“I don’t listen to the rumours or anything like that. I know it’s out there and people talk about it, but no one really knows anything,” said Bouwmeester, who has a no-trade clause and is signed for one more season before becoming an unrestricted free-agent.

• George Johnson of the Calgary Herald: The Blackhawks and Maple Leafs are reportedly showing interest in Flames Miikka Kiprusoff. He has one year left on his deal with a salary of only $1.5 million.

“I’ve been traded once in my life” — from San Jose to the Flames back in 2003 — “and it was probably the best thing that happened in my hockey life,” Kiprusoff mused. “But, like I say, I just try to do my job here. That’s it.”

• Josh Rimer via twitter: Bill Watters on NiteCap said he still believes the Maple Leafs will trade for Roberto Luongo. Watters added that he can see either Mike Komisarek or John-Michael Liles and Tyler Bozak for Luongo.

1. Jeff

March 21, 2013 at 8:29 am

This is EXACTLY what Jay Feaster should be doing. The tertiary benefit being to ensure the Flames FINALLY have a top 3 pick in the draft.

2. iroc88

March 21, 2013 at 9:19 am

Maple Leafs will trade for Roberto Luongo. Watters added that he can see either Mike Komisarek or John-Michael Liles and Tyler Bozak for Luongo.(take all three plays send luongo to toronto done.)

3. Jeff

March 21, 2013 at 9:50 am

What has Watters ever been right about? We should keep track.

4. Kurt

March 21, 2013 at 10:58 am

I wouldn’t even give you Bozak for Luongo at this point. Bozak has been playing well and is a key faceoff man. Not to mention, he is our only proven center fit with Kessel. Grabovski (5.5 million/year) for Luongo (5.3 million/year) would be my offer. Take it or leave it.

5. minx

March 21, 2013 at 11:44 am

yep all 3 done… but if you could find a way to keep bozak, he is an awsome 2nd line centre (for kessel lol). Naz, van, and lups 1st line (until some big centre with talent comes) my list of people to sell:
    kulimen, grabo (though i’m a fan), connelly, komisarek, JM-Liles, benn (if only to make room for optimus rime on the bench) if you put those guys in a pile, maybe a couple more, can u get a 1st line centre and a #1 goalie? I wonder what the asking price for kipper is….? Cheaper for a better goalie?(#’s inflated by flames crappy D?) K now i’m dreaming of a kipper, iggy package and suddenly I’m trading kessel…. I’d best go…

6. Leaf_Fan

March 21, 2013 at 12:00 pm

leafs better stay away from luongo… kipper yes sure but no luongo. its sick komi went to ahl. dont give up liles hes sick, only d im cool with giving up is franson, maybe komi.

7. iroc88

March 21, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Mike Komisarek & John-Michael Liles and Tyler Bozak for Luongo, komisarek 4.5 Liles 3.8 Bozak
    going to ask 4 to 4.5M Luongo is making 5.3 that is a good traded i thing

8. I_am_I

March 21, 2013 at 1:02 pm

@Kurt: In one sense I agree, Grabovski is probably not in the long term plan *if* the Leafs can get the big bodied top 6 centre the covet. But the odds on that are pretty slim. Also unless you resign Bozak you have to keep Grabovski otherwise there is a big hole up the middle. I’d like to see Colborne get a few game in the NHL to see how he is doing.
    @minx: Keep Kulemin as a defensive winger, though his cap is a little high for that, he kills penalties, plays well defensively and can chip in a few goals. There are no top 6 centres available for love or money right now… Unless you wish to overpay for Stastny, some say he is a top 6 centre others say no, I say I haven’t seen him play in 3 years so I haven’t a clue. Iggy is a bad fit for the Leafs, they have enough wingers and at 35 and an UFA he is a player you acquire to win a cup, not just to get to the playoffs.
    @Leaf_fan: I’d rather keep Franson than Liles. Franson is bigger and younger. Liles has a similar skill set to Gardiner and Rielly. In 2 seasons Liles can’t crack the TML lineup anymore.

March 21, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Although Grabovski is having a bad year, I think you have to keep him until the Bozak situation plays itself out. I don’t think anyone had a problem with Grabovski up until this year, so let him have an off year. It happens quite regularly after a player is awarded a large contract.

Although I like Franson and Liles, I think with Gardiner back, you have 3 similiar defencemen in the mix and hopefully you can put one in play for a large winger like Chris Stewert. But, I dont think Nonis sees a huge rush to move Franson or Liles, unless the right trade comes along.

With Vanek out tonight, the Leafs should win tonight, then hopefully we can at least grab 1 out fo 4 points from Boston in back-to-back games.

10. Leaf_Fan

March 21, 2013 at 1:41 pm

maybe, but liles is needed to keep shit together at the back, the d is too young/inexperienced without him.
    Leafs should go after kipper – much cheaper than luongo, just as good, and not a long ass contract. Also, keep scrivens, and give up reimer. scrivens>reimer any day

11. iroc88

March 21, 2013 at 3:01 pm

yes , I like that Liles for Chris Stewert then trade
    Clarke MacArthur to SJS for Ryane Clowe & Bozak for David Clarkson from NJD, TORONTO BOY

12. I_am_I

March 21, 2013 at 3:06 pm

@hot_wings I don’t have a problem with Grabovski, but if the Leafs add a big top 6 centre and keep Bozak for the 3rd line then he’s the odd man out, because Kadri is staying.
    I like Franson on the 3rd pair and PP. Liles needs to stay until Rielly is ready, by then Gardiner should be able to step into his role. I picked the 2014-2015 season for that, maybe 2015-2016? But yes, it is an area the Leafs can make a trade from.
    Miller usually plays well against the Leafs, the Sabres as a whole tend to play hard so I never write them off.
    @Leaf_Fan: I get your point, I agree I’d rather have Kiprusoff than Luongo. Luongo’s contract is atrocious. Don’t know the asking price though, read 1st and a prospect here but don’t remember the source, also he is 36. What about Backstrom if the Wild don’t resign him? He’s UFA this summer.
    I’d keep Reimer, in spite of being injury prone he’s a better goalie already and younger. But both have been fine, personally I don’t mind if they roll with what they’ve got, goaltending isn’t as important as a top pairing Defenceman to play with Phaneuf and a big skilled centre to play between Kessel and JVR/Lupul. But since neither of those is happening then just converting players that aren’t in the plan for prospects and picks is fine with me.
    I still think they want to give Colborne a look before he goes RFA this summer. Just to see what they have and what they need to offer.