- John Shannon: Penguins GM Ray Shero said he may not be done trading: ”Depth on the 4th line..or a winger for the 2nd line,you never know.”
- Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News: The Flyers were linked to the Sharks Dan Boyle after they scouted a Sharks-Wild game. It appears though that they wanted a close look at Brent Burns, among others. It will be interesting to see how the Flyers address their defense, as the upcoming free agent class isn’t that great. Ladislav Smid may be the best, and the Oilers are trying to re-sign him. It makes sense that the Sharks could be interested in moving Burns and his 5 years, $28.8 million deal that he signed before this season. He has a $5.76 million salary cap hit and has been “unmitigated disaster on defense since arriving.”
- Jimmy Murphy: Source said that Bruins Nathan Horton wants to stay with the Bruins, but it could be his last chance to get a big deal.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli,
“I certainly don’t gauge our strategy on what other teams are doing, but Pittsburgh is a very good team and they’ve made themselves better,” Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli told ESPN.com Tuesday morning. “It doesn’t accelerate anything, you can’t force anything; you try to find a fit and you try to improve your team. The Penguins made themselves better, we’ll see in the coming week in a bit how other teams make themselves better, and we plan on doing the same thing.”
Jarome Iginla could cost them a first-round pick and two young assets, a big price and LeBrun thinks Bruins would pay it. Other possibilities include Ryane Clowe and Jaromir Jagr.
Mike Smith remains unsigned in Phoenix. Both sides are talking, but the uncertainty of ownership might be holding things back. What would the Coyotes do if teams come calling on April 3rd?
The Devils and David Clarkson’s camp haven’t talked at all about a contract extension this year. GM Lou Lamoriello said teams should know better to not call about him as he’s not available. Teams like the Oilers, Canadiens, Maple Leafs and Wild would definitely be interested in a player like Clarkson.
- Arthur Staple of Newsday: The Islanders are going to try to re-sign Mark Streit, Evgeni Nabokov and Lubomir Visnovsky. They won’t trade for a rental. They will not dismantle or start over. They will likely wait until the summer to make moves.