NHL Rumors II: Nonis talks deadline, Maple Leafs, Luongo, Kiprusoff, Khabibulin, Smith, Reimer and Scrivens

• Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis,

“Last year I had a list of teams I kept in touch with. I did about half. Brian (Burke) did about half. That’s how we operated.

“Now, I pretty much talk to everybody. That’s the plan this year. We bring our hockey staff together. We want to hear everybody’s views on things. Then we get ready for what comes.

“You go into a trade deadline with certain expectations. But you never really know what the next phone call you’re going to get is. I don’t believe in untouchables. There’s always a price for any player. The question is: Is anyone willing to pay it?

“Right now, I can tell you I don’t have anything even interesting on the go. Nothing at all. But I believe there will be something for us to think about by Wednesday.

“Right now, we’re not close on anything.”

Nonis might be interested in 1. A veteran goalie – maybe not Luongo, someone closer a Nikolai Khabibulin. 2. A depth center – can play on various lines. 3. A top-4 defesneman – someone who could take some pressure off of Dion Phaneuf.

Nonis might be able to land a veteran goalie and a depth center without giving up too much. Many teams are looking for a top-four defenseman, there aren’t many available, and if they are, the price is high, see: Dan Boyle.

There are no untouchables on the Leafs roster.

“You always listen no matter who they ask about,” he said. “There’s a price tag for everybody. You just don’t get it very often.”

• Damien Cox of the Toronto Star: Talks between the Maple Leafs and Canucks have quietly resumed this week after weeks of silence. GM Mike Gillis’ asking price may have come down and may no longer be demanding Nazem Kadri or Jake Gardiner. Tyler Bozak would still be a fit. There are now other goalie options for Nonis. James Reimer and Ben Scrivens have played well for the most part. They could take a run at Miikka Kiprusoff. It likely won’t take a first rounder to get him. Coyotes Mike Smith has a concussion and it’s not clear if the Coyotes are interested in moving him. Kiprusoff may be the Leafs top choice. Remaining with Reimer and Scrivens would allow the Leafs to not create a hole up the middle by trading Bozak to the Canucks.

1. Dave

March 29, 2013 at 8:05 am

Tread carefully, you don’t want to mess with it a good thing..

2. Brinn

March 29, 2013 at 9:48 am

Luooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo….
    for Kessel straight up.

3. I_am_I

March 29, 2013 at 10:17 am

@Dave it sounds like Nonis might make a minor depth move at forward. I doubt any defencemen come up at a reasonable price. But if one does the Leafs have played 9(?) defencemen this season already… What’s adding another one to the mix going to hurt?
    @Brinn I assume you are trolling?

4. Dave

March 29, 2013 at 10:22 am

LOL Brinn. I heard Brinn is a die-hard Canucks fan. Loves everything about them, and Kessel is his favorite player.

March 29, 2013 at 11:07 am

the leafs seem like they have more to do in-house, as opposed to making a trade at this point. they have a lot of signings to take care of and do not really need to gear up for a deep playoff run at this point.

i think part of the explanation for Nonis’ lack of telephone activity with other gms, is that we do not have much in the category of rental players. There are more attractive options out there for other teams. Hopefully Nonis’ can provide leaf land with a good solid off season of activity.

6. Brinn

March 29, 2013 at 11:12 am

Yes that’s correct, I love Heartless American Pussy’s.
    Any team would be lucky to have an All Star Goaltender such as Roberto. Toronto should do what they need to do to acquire him. not saying give up Kadri but i’d package up Kessel, Phaneuf, Klumin, Garbageski, Skrivens and Tucker;)

7. Jeff

March 29, 2013 at 11:33 am

LOL!!

8. Leaf_Fan

March 29, 2013 at 11:40 am

this brinn guy is quite funny eh?

9. Brinn

March 29, 2013 at 11:55 am

Hilarious actually!!
    I’d even be willing to deal Komisarek and Connolly to free up some cap space.

10. D

March 29, 2013 at 11:55 am

leafs still have tuckers buyout cap hit for 1 more season. i think in the next cba teams should be able to trade buyout cap. more efficient for garth snow to spend money without making his team better

11. Jeff

March 29, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Connolly might have been traded (for nothing) if he was playing well with the Marlies, but he isnt. His contract ends in the summer.

Komisarek is helping a depleted Marlies defence and i think they are doing right by him, allowing him to showcase himself for other NHL teams, for next season…

Neither will be traded and both will be gone this summer.

12. Wunschkind89

March 29, 2013 at 1:47 pm

@ Brinn

The Canucks can’t have Kessel, but they can have Domi. :)

13. Max

March 29, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Taking on Luongo’s contract would leave this team stuck for years with the cap coming down. Why anyone would want it under the new CBA is beyond me. Use the money else where. And save some for expansion. Because if the league is stupid enough to expand again and thin the talent pool the salaries will get even crazier for top guys. The league is only now starting to recover from how quickly they grew in the past. Which is exactly why a guy like garbo can get 5 mil.

14. Forward thinker

March 30, 2013 at 12:40 am

I would not deal Luongo at all. Keep him to mentor Lack and trade Cory. There are more teams to bid because he has not got a no trade clause. Luongo is a great goal tender at a reasonable price. Deal him in a few years when his cap hit and low salary will be attractive to teams trying to get to the floor.
    Cory would bring big return, but I would wait until the summer.
    I could see the canucks letting Ballard go. He is a top four forward on a team that has no room there. He is a good defenceman on the wrong team. I bet he could be had for a role player.

15. Shane

April 1, 2013 at 12:08 pm

This leaf_fan guy just makes me laugh lol you must love not having a top contending team anyone would be lucky to have loungo between the pipes for them I would be doing what I had to do to get the deal done before Vancouver realizes that they should keep Lou and trade off Cory and as buddy said jar Lou show the ropes for lack

16. Jeff

April 1, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Punctuation: Punctuation marks are symbols that indicate the structure and organization of written language, as well as intonation and pauses to be observed when reading aloud.

Punctuation marks
    Punctuation
    apostrophe ( ’ ‘ )
    brackets ( [ ], ( ), { }, ⟨ ⟩ )
    colon ( : )
    comma ( , ، 、 )
    dash ( ‒, –, —, ― )
    ellipsis ( …, …, . . . )
    exclamation mark ( ! )
    full stop/period ( . )
    guillemets ( « » )
    hyphen ( ‐ )
    hyphen-minus ( – )
    question mark ( ? )
    quotation marks ( ‘ ’, “ ”, ‘ ‘, ” ” )
    semicolon ( ; )
    slash/stroke/solidus ( /, ⁄ )

17. Shane

April 1, 2013 at 12:15 pm

To much work using a phone!

18. Jeff