From twitter unless otherwise noted
- Elliotte Friedman: Flames GM Jay Feaster said that their only untouchables were Sven Baertschi, TJ Brodie, Curtis Glencross and Mark Giordano.
- Randy Miller: Don’t understand the Flyers trading for Steve Mason, giving up a 3rd round pick. He’s struggled for years and is an RFA, so they would have to send him a qualifying of $3.2 million to retain his rights.
- Jim Diamond: Predators GM David Poile on the Martin Erat trade: ”Marty came to us in recent days and indicated a trade might be in his best interests.”
- Mike Harrington: Bets that the Wild initially asked the Sabres about Thomas Vanek before moving to Jason Pominville.
- Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press: Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff wasn’t interested in trading picks for short-term help.
“The hardest thing for me is to try and accelerate a process that can’t be accelerated,” said Cheveldayoff. “It’s a vicious circle. If you don’t draft players and develop them into assets, then you can’t do anything on a deadline day. If you choose to trade your draft picks for assets for the now, you forgo the opportunity to build a sustainable system with a sustainable flow of players.”
They listened for offers on Alex Burmistrov, but didn’t come up with anything they liked.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: The Oilers offered Ryan Jones and a draft pick to the Senators for Ben Bishop. The Senators asked for Sean Couturier straight up. Tampa Bay hopes to find a 1a between Bishop and Anders Lindback. Both the Canucks and Canadiens were interested in Raffi Torres. The Coyotes settled with the Sharks offer of Florida’s 3rd round pick. The Rangers gained payroll flexibility for next season by trading Marian Gaborik. They have to re-sign RFAs Derek Stepan, Ryan McDonagh and Carl Hagelin. Also, they now have a better shot at signing Ryane Clowe.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The Capitals received lots of interest in Mike Ribeiro, but they continue to work on an extension with him. The Canadiens were after a rugged winger but were unsuccessful. The Blue Jackets tried to get Tomas Fleischmann from the Panthers. The Blue Jackets may have offered one of their 1st round pick and Derek Dorsett for Fleischmann. The Devils, Canucks, Jets and Jackets showed interest in Drew Stafford. The Sabres considered Alex Burmistrov.