- Arthur Staple: Islanders defenseman Andrew MacDonald suffered a broken hand and is likely done for the playoffs.
- Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette: Carey Price suffered a lower-body injury, possibly a hamstring or groin at the end of regulation and was replaced by Peter Budajfor overtime.
“When your starting goalie goes down … it’s tough to lose him and it’s tough on the guy who has to come in,” Gorges said. “He’s been sitting there for two-and-a-half hours and we expect him to go in there and be stellar. It’s a tough position to be in, and it’s unfortunate it unfolded that way.
“Plays get thrown to the front of the net,” he added of the scramble that produced the winning goal, “and a lot of times it’s a 50-50 puck. We have to be stronger.”
- Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Kovacevic is one of many who is calling for Tomas Vokoun to be the Penguins starter for Game 5. Marc-Andre Fleuryhas allowed 14 goals on 102 shots, and 40 goals in his last 10 playoff games. Coach Dan Bylsma:
“Certainly, Tomas Vokoun is a guy that can step in and play and has had success and won hockey games against this team, was successful this year. We’re going to come out for Game 5 with a refocus.”
“One of the reasons we wanted Tomas Vokoun was to play hockey games and win hockey games for us. Marc-Andre Fleury is our starting goaltender and started this series and won us some hockey games, made a lot of saves for us … but we’re not going to talk about our starting goaltender for Game 5.”
- Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: The Predators are currently $18 million under next year’s salary cap. Cooper lists four players who could be good options for the Predators: Stephen Weiss, Nathan Horton, Sergei Gonchar and Derek Roy.
- Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province: Gallagher mentions some possible moves that the Canucks could look at, with some being a little radical. Trade Alex Edler to a team like the Flyers. The Flyers have some young forwards that they might consider moving for someone like Edler. Could they look at moving Ryan Kesler or Dan Hamhuis? Though both have a no-trade clause. Alex Burrows’ no-trade clause doesn’t kick in until July 1st. They could trade Roberto Luongo for whatever you can get for him, which may not be a lot. Cory Schneider would bring more return. The Sedin’s are heading into the last year of their deals.