Quick Hits: GMs to meet, Subban wins Norris and Roloson promoted

• Pierre LeBrun: All 30 GMs will meet during the day of Game 4 in Boston.
  • Nick Kypreos: Word is that Canadiens P.K. Subban is the winner of the Norris Trophy.

1. AJ

June 11, 2013 at 10:01 am

So Norris is officially a Rocket Richard for defensemen now.
    Somehow I didn’t see Subban as the best overall D this year. He was great, but not the best.

2. Tyler

June 11, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Agree with you, AJ. He had a great season but is he really the best defenseman? Of the nominees I think Suter was the most deserving. I also thought it was a shame that Letang got a nomination considering how much time he missed. Put a pewee on that blueline, and with Sid and Malkin at forward, they’re bound to get 30 assists.

June 11, 2013 at 2:38 pm

why not Chara again? even excluding his playoff performance, I don’t think you are going to get too many people taking Subban over Chara on your team. Suter is better choice over Subban as well…

4. AJ

June 11, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Agree, no Letang because the above mentioned reasons. His statistics are inflated as the result of his mates.

Actually, I would have nominated Chara, Suter and Beauchemin in the first place.

Out of those three, I don’t know. I’m a bit biased towards Beauch, I think he’s been consistently great all season long, he completely tore his ACL late in the season but didn’t miss a game ’cause of it. His point total was not among the best though.

Chara was good, but did not live up to his own standards statistically.

Suter really struggled until halway, he was actually pretty bad early sometimes and picked it up early March.

Ekman-Larsson was the opposite, cooled off a bit late.

Weber was never in the discussion this year. He better picks it up, or needs a change of scenery and the Flyers might come back knocking even with his stupid contract.

All in all, I missed a true classic Norris-worthy performance this season, as the league is missing players in the mold of a Niedermayer or Lidstrom.

5. AJ

June 11, 2013 at 4:52 pm

well hotwings, the award is based on this year, not the generally best pick of them all.

Pretty sure Chara and Weber took the first to places all the time that way.

6. AJ

June 11, 2013 at 4:53 pm

*would take the first two

7. Just a fan

June 11, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I think prejudism has a lot to do with subban winning it if its true. If he wins thats awesome, if not the people picking are prejudiced is the way it would be looked at. My feeling is he is a great defenseman but the award should go to Suter or Beauchemin.