- Elliott Friedman of CBC: Friedman mentions again about the Avalanche turning down the Flames offer of all their 1st round picks for the 1st overall pick. They rejected it quickly as it didn’t contain a player that is NHL ready. Friedman wonders if the Flames made the same offer to the Panthers, Lightning or Predators.
The Avs may not want to go below No. 3. The Panthers may not want to go below No. 4 if anywhere at all. The Lightning and Predators could be the same.
The Hurricanes at No. 5 could be ready to deal. They would get a very good player at No. 5, but would top 4 defenseman with experience and term may be a better option from where they sit? The Oilers had talks with the Hurricanes, but they may have cooled.
One source on the Hurricanes, ”some players who were previously untouchable may no longer be untouchable.” Doesn’t include anyone with the last night Staal.
The Stars, Red Wings and Maple Leafs have contacted the Panthers about trading for Stephen Weiss’ negotiating rights if the Panthers can’t re-sign him. The Devils could also be a possible destination for Weiss.
Speculation that the Stars could target Jarome Iginla. The Kings are another. Friedman wonders about the Coyotes/Seattle with the Shane Doan connection.
John Tortorella and John Stevens will have second interviews with the Canucks.
Maple Leafs and Tyler Bozak contract talks aren’t going that well. GM Dave Nonis took a hard line with Leo Komarov and may be doing the same with Bozak. He could be saving his cap space for someone, either it be Weiss or somebody else.
- Ansar Khan of MLive: The Red Wings and Pavel Datsyukappear to be close on agreeing to a multi-year contract extension. It can’t be official until after July 5th. Datsyuk’s agent, Gary Greenstin flew to Detroit yesterday to meet with Holland. Datsyuk tweeted last night “Big day tomorrow …”
“I hope very soon,” Greenstin said. “Everybody knows what Pavel Datsyuk means to Detroit and what he likes about the Red Wings. We’re still talking. Contract cannot be registered with league until July 5. We can negotiate a deal so we have one (before July 5).”
- Gary Lawless: Zach Bogosian’s agent confirms that he spoke again with the Jets last week.
- Ken Wiebe: The Jets haven’t had any talks with RFA defenseman Zach Redmond. Redmond’s agent did say that he continues to progress from his bad skate cut, ”He’s doing great and he feels great.”
- Ken Wiebe: UFA defenseman Derek Meech’s agent, JP Barry, has spoke with the Jets several times and will do so again before free agency starts on July 5th.
- Bob Stauffer: Oilers defenseman Mark Fistric will options. Stauffer thinks the Oilers should re-sign him as they need his size.