NHL Rumor Round up on 14 teams and a top trade candidate list

• Bruce Garrioch: Trade talk is in full swing.

“There is so much talk, and so many names, it’s hard to believe that everything that is being talked about could actually happen,” said a league executive Thursday. “Lots of teams are trying to make changes. No question.”

The Canadiens are the most obvious landing spot for Vincent Lecavalier. At one point the Lightning had a deal in place to send Lecavalier to the Canadiens for Carey Price, Max Pacioretty, P.K. Subban and a No. 1 pick, but Lightning ownership wouldn’t allow it.

If the Rangers buyout Brad Richards, look for the Lightning to bring him back on a two year deal.

The Blues might be seeing what they can get for T.J. Oshie and David Perron. The Blues still need to re-sign RFAs Chris Stewart and Alex Pietrangelo.

The Sabres are looking to see what they can get for Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller.

Scott Gomez likely won’t be back with the Sharks next year.

Canadiens GM Marc Bergeron may be sniffing around to see if there is a market for Tomas Plekanec. He has a no-trade clause and has a cap hit of $5 million.

The Stars are offering Erik Cole around the league.

Avalanche could be trying to send Paul Stastny and his $6.6 million to the Maple Leafs. UFA after next season.

The Panthers may have tried to get Matt Duchene from the Avalanche, but were turned down quickly.

Flames have been shopping some of their three first round picks and Mike Cammalleri.

The Flyers may want to look for a short term goalie solution instead of a longer term one in Mike Smith. The Flyers may call Tim Thomas to see if he’d be interested. Believed that the Flyers have talked to the Sabres about Ryan Miller.

• James Mirtle: Top trade candidates this weekend: 1. Kris Letang 2. Roberto Luongo 3. Shawn Horcoff 4. Paul Stastny 5. Dion Phaneuf 6. Mike Cammalleri 7. Dave Bolland 8. Ryan Miller and Thomas Vanek.  Other possibilities: Ales Hemsky, Jeff Schultz, John-Michael Liles, Tom Gilbert and David Booth.
  • Renaud Lavoie: Flames GM Jay Feaster said that nobody has called about Mike Cammalleri.
  • Mark Masters: Feaster on trades leading up to the draft: ‘Well, we hope … we’re trying to make some deals. I’ve talked to all 29 other teams.’
  • Arthur Staple of Newsday: The Rangers have three picks in the second round and could be looking to move up into the second round.

1. Crosbysux

June 28, 2013 at 1:10 pm

No Bobby Ryan as possible trade bait/target?

2. A

June 28, 2013 at 1:19 pm

When was lecavalier considered for subban, price, pacioretty and a number one pick? That’s rediculous.

3. leafsfan (905) 420

June 28, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Can I have some of what buddy is smokin vinny for all ofmtl lmao

4. Jeff

June 28, 2013 at 2:02 pm

“A”
    That is, in fact, accurate. It would have been one of the worst trades of all-time.

Mark has documented this a number of times in the past.

5. Jeff

June 28, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Im really interested in seeing what STL does. They have quite a few important decisions to make.

6. Patrick

June 28, 2013 at 2:06 pm

As an Avs’ fan I would love to see Stastny on the Leafs. He is a great player but can’t compete up the middle for the Avs’ with the other centers. If he played with Kessel and Lupul he could easily have a career year. What are the odds Phaneuf could come the other way? Am I dreaming?

7. Mike

June 28, 2013 at 2:09 pm

“At one point the Lightning had a deal in place to send Lecavalier to the Canadiens for Carey Price, Max Pacioretty, P.K. Subban and a No. 1 pick, but Lightning ownership wouldn’t allow it.”

That is the most ridiculous thing I have read today…BY FAR!!!

Not one of the Habs players mentioned would have been traded for Lecavalier…not even close!

8. Jeff

June 28, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Patrick, how do you compare his play this season vs. 2-3 years ago? He has not progressed, and i dont think team’s have been lining up for a chance at him the past few years.

Possible ‘change of scenery’ guy?

TML fans are not excited by Statsny coming here, especially with comparable players (Weiss, Ribeiro etc) available without giving up assets.

9. Patrick

June 28, 2013 at 2:25 pm

@Jeff, that’s pretty much why I want him traded. I really do think he’s a change of scenery guy, especially with Kessel on his wing. He’s totally overpaid but if Bozak really wants as much money as being reported they would be a better team with Stastny.

I honestly don’t know who he’s comparible to on any aspect. He was good for a while, now he isn’t. Sacco was a terrible coach which is right around when he started playing bad, that’s a possibilty. I do think he’ll turn it around on another team. I have no idea what he’s worth on the trade market. A 2nd round pick? Or a good player? Depends on who wants him really.

Like you said, maybe no one does.

June 28, 2013 at 4:38 pm

i hope the leafs pass on paul stastny and see what develops on the ryan o’reilly front… i think he can be traded around dec-jan of next year if i recall correctly.. i think it’s 50/50 in terms of him staying and going. he might want to get a deal done to stay with an excellent young corps+mackinnon.

id rather see vinny, bolland or clarkson in TO before stastny

11. RICK AKIN

June 28, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I guess I value Statsny fairly highly, especially after his performance in the world championships, where he played very well . So, Patrick, I take it you would be elated to do Statsny for Phaneuf ?? Hmmm…both guys make bigger bucks than they are worth, in my opinion. But, both can play. I see a deal there. But, as Jeff pointed out, there are comparables on the UFA market who you don’t need to trade for. Still, given Statsnys age and upside, I believe TO may prefer him over the UFAs.

12. Patrick

June 28, 2013 at 5:06 pm

O’Reilly can be traded near the end of February. Ittl be close to see if its before or after the trade deadline. And yes I basically agree that the market may not be there for Stastny but if Phaneuf were offered I’d hope Colorado accepted. Leafs are strong at D colorado is strong at center. It could be a good trade for both teams. Better for Toronto if Stastny meshes with Kessel like I think he can.

13. pensarmy

June 29, 2013 at 4:16 am

Letang for Yakupov, and a 2nd round pick…Maybe Shero could send letang to the Avs for Matt Duchane, or Letang and keep some salary for #1 pick from the Avs or even take Stastny back. or an easy fix buy Martin or Orpik out the both only have 2 years left I thjnk…..

14. jon

June 29, 2013 at 7:30 am

I am an avs fan and I don’t want Stastny traded. He is s good player. His biggest problem was Sacco. Over the last few years who has he played with. He has had no support and no scoring talent around him. Stastny is better than O’Reilly but seems to me takes a back seat and gets paired up with Jones (and good riddance to him) and McLeod who I like but has his role. Not great support and Tanguay will help and get Seth Jones to start building the D Phaneuf is getting older stay with the youth movement.

15. pensarmy

July 1, 2013 at 7:18 am

I’m unable to find solid confirming information that Kris Letang did sign his new contract, anyone have any links ????? Also did anyonelse think that New Jersey put on a very good draft ???