Afternoon Hits I: Bergeron, Horton, Scuderi, Leafs, Sabres, Penguins and Senators
- Updated: July 2, 2013
- Joe McDonald: Bruins Patrice Bergeron suffered torn cartilage in Game 4, broken rib Game 5, separated shoulder/collapsed lung in Game 6. He wouldn’t have been able to play in Game 7. Joe Haggerty: Bergeron said that he won’t require surgery and should be ready for camp.
- Tim Panaccio: Panaccio has heard that the Flyers would love to get Nathan Horton. Talk is that he has a couple teams in mind and the Flyers are not one of them.
- Will DePaoli of Inside Pittsburgh Sports: Sources saying that the Penguins could be looking at defenseman Rob Scuderi to be Kris Letang’s partner. Scuderi could be looking for a 3 year deal around $4 million.
- Howard Berger: The Leafs top priority this week is getting a No. 1 center, which almost certainly will come by a multi-player trade. Vincent Lecavalier is still a possible UFA option. A deal doesn’t need to made this week, it’s a long offseason.
- Howard Berger: Has said many times that a Leafs trade for Paul Stastny would take Carl Gunnarsson, Nik Kulemin and 4th round pick.
- John Vogl: Sabres GM Darcy Regier said that Mikhail Grigorenko won’t be returned to junior next year and is not eligible for the AHL.
- Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review: Kris Letang’s deal with the Pittsburgh Penguins remains in limbo as there is still a snag. Letang is looking for a verbal guarantee that the Penguins won’t trade him in the next year before his new deal kicks in. The 8 year deal with a $7.25 million cap hit comes with a limited no-movement clause which he names 15 teams that he could be traded too.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Ottawa Senators offseason to-do list: 1. Signing Daniel Alfredsson 2. Finding a top-6 forward and blueliner: they made a play of Bobby Ryan but the price was too high. They could look at Pascal Dupuis if he hits the open market. They may rather trade a prospect for a blueliner than get into a bidding war for a free agent. 3. Check the health of injured players: mainly Erik Karlsson, Jason Spezza and Milan Michalek. 4. Contract matters: talk extension with head coach Paul MacLean. Colin Greening could be extended. Jim O’Brien could be dealt.