Afternoon Hits II: Schneider, Leafs, Bruins, Canucks, Red Wings and Kuba
- Updated: July 3, 2013
- Bill Watters: “Schneider ‘s exit from Vancouver was precipitated by off ice issues,rather than goaltending and financial as outlined in Gillis’ rationale.”
- The Fourth Period: The Maple Leafs plan on being active in the next few days. They are looking for a top line center and a top-six winger. The Leafs are looking at UFAs Stephen Weiss and David Clarkson. Weiss could be looking for a five year worth $5 million a season. Various reports have Clarkson looking for upwards of $6 million a year, which might be too much for the Leafs. The Leafs are shopping Mikhail Grabovski and John-Michael Liles.
- Pierre LeBrun: After originally deciding to cut ties with Jaromir Jagr, GM Peter Chiarelli said he’s thought about circling back to him after Nathan Horton said he’s leaving.
- The Fourth Period: Bruins GM Chiarelli is working on a couple of trades. He’s believed to be looking to move Rich Peverley and Chris Kelly to free up some cap space. The Bruins are close to signing Tuukka Rask and Patrice Bergeron to long term extensions. Chiarelli has already had a conversation with Daniel Briere and could inquire about David Clarkson.
- Mike Halford of Pro Hockey Talk: Keith Ballard’s agent, Ben Hankinson, went on Vancouver radio this morning and said the Canucks bought out the two remaining years of his contract. According to CapGeek, the Canucks now have $7.4 million in cap space.
- Brad Ziemer: The Canucks have seven roster spots to fill, and the re-signing of Chris Tanev won’t come cheap.
- Ansar Khan of MLive: The Red Wings have interest in Stephen Weiss. It’s not looking like Valtteri Filppula will be returning. The Wings had interest in David Clarkson, but have cooled lately. Nathan Horton may be asking too much for them. There are concerns whether or not Jarome Iginla can play the up-tempo game at both ends. Their biggest need is a second line center. Options could be Mike Ribeiro (Washington), Matt Cullen (Minnesota), Derek Roy (Vancouver) and Tyler Bozak (Toronto). Other forwards that might interest them: Michael Ryder (Montreal), Viktor Stalberg (Chicago), Mason Raymond (Vancouver), Brenden Morrow (Pittsburgh), Ryane Clowe (Rangers) and Jaromir Jagr (Boston).
- Bob McKenzie: The Florida Panthers are buying out defenseman Filip Kuba. They are not using a compliance buyout, so it will count against the cap.