Afternoon Hits: Clifford trade talk, Red Wings, Hurricanes and Rob Blake
- Updated: July 17, 2013
- Dennis Bernstain: League source saying the Kings are actively shopping Kyle Clifford. Contracts talks between the Kings and Clifford are far apart. Trade talk have started but nothing is imminent. They would likely only get a prospect/pick back for Clifford at most. The trade calls made by Kings could be in effort to bring down contract demands. League source saying that Clifford will be shipped out by the end of the month and the Canadiens are not in the mix, “No chance to MTL”
- David Staple of the Edmonton Journal: Since the Oilers were interested in Cal Clutterbuck before he was dealt to the Islanders, it wouldn’t be surprising if they would have interest in Clifford.
- Ansar Khan of MLive: The Red Wings would like to move out a couple players and may be sign a free agent, but it doesn’t look like that would happen any time soon.
“We’re comfortable where we’re at right now,” Holland said Monday, after signing defenseman Brendan Smith to a two-year, $2.52 million contract. “Before we do anything we’d have to move somebody. It’s pretty quiet in the industry right now. Everybody probably is into a bit of a summer mode.”
Once the Red Wings re-sign RFAs Gustav Nyquist and Joakim Andersson, they will have 25 roster players. They are over the salary cap limit, but part of Daniel Alfredsson’s bonuses could be applied to 2014-15 cap number if need be.
“We’d like to do a move or two, but I’m not sure we can,” Holland said. “If we can’t make a move I’m OK with our team and we’ll go to camp. If we can make a move and free up some money then certainly re-signing Dan Cleary is a possibility. But, unless we move somebody, we aren’t signing anybody.”
- Chip Alexander: Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford said that Elias Lindholm could start the season with the team. Would be shocked if he doesn’t. Added Lindholm’s preference is to play center, but can play all forward positions. Could start on a line with Jeff Skinner.
- John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor: Rob Blake will named the Kings Assistant GM later this week.