- Joe Yerdon of Pro Hockey Talk: A Finnish site is reporting that Teemu Selanne recently met with Ducks GM Bob Murray. Decision on if he’ll play this season hasn’t been decided yet.
- Sean Leahy of Yahoo! Sports: From a Eric Stephens piece in the OC Register (subscription required), Selanne met with Murray on Tuesday,
Murray, through a team spokesman, characterized the meeting as “positive” and that he and Selanne agreed to talk again soon. He said Selanne did not give him a decision on whether he intends to continue playing or retire.
- Dan Rosen: “I know this has been said before, but if the Leafs still need to sign RFAs Kadri and Franson, why did they give Paul Ranger $1 million? I get it, depth is important, but it’s more important to have that extra $1 million in reserve to make sure they can sign Kadri and Franson. The other considertion is Morgan Rielly. Will he get a nine-game tryout b4 a decision is made on returning to junior? I think he should.”
- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has held a preliminary conversation with Jason Pominville’s agent regarding a contract extension. Fletcher said there is no rush and is willing to talk after the season starts.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Sources saying the Senators offered Jared Cowen an eight-year deal worth $28 million, a $3.5 million salary cap hit. The Senators don’t want to do a one-year deal as Cowen would have arbitration rights next year.