- Darren Dreger: Sabres source said the Paul Stastny-Ryan Miller trade rumors are bogus.
- Brendan Savage of MLive: Red Wings Darren Helm is progressing from his back injury, but may not be ready to start the season.
“I’m not thinking about it. I’m just trying to get better,” Helm said Thursday after skating with about two dozen players at Joe Louis Arena. “I’m not putting a time line on opening the season. I’m just trying to get better.
“There are days where it’s a little achy or sore but … I can kind of distinguish between the good and the bad and it’s mostly been good. Just kind of work through it, stretch through it, skate through it and it’s been good.”
- Ian Mendes: Senators coach Paul MacLean said there is no time on naming a new captain. Decision will be made by the coaching staff.
- Gary Lawless: Source saying Dustin Byfuglien is down 30 pounds from the end of last season.
- Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: Andrew Brunette will be the Wild’s power-play consultant. Brunette will be scouting, conduct projects for GM Chuck Fletcher and work with their AHL affiliate in Des Moines.
- Josh Rimer: If the Avalanche didn’t draft Nathan MacKinnon, they would have taken Aleksander Barkov.