Free Agent Hits: Franson, Kadri, O’Bryne, Kessel and 10 Intriguing Names
- Updated: September 3, 2013
- Jonas Siegel: If Cody Franson were to opt for a one-year contract, instead of a longer deal that he’s looking for, he could cash in next season when the salary cap rises next year if he were to have another good year.
- Darren Dreger: There is no change in talks involving the Maple Leafs and Nazem Kadri. There is still time for deal to be worked out, but his attending training camp is in question.
- TSN: Former Avs and Maple Leafs defenseman Ryan O’Bryne has signed a two-year deal with HC Lev Praha of the KHL.
- Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe: 10 intriguing free agents: Brenden Morrow, Ron Hainsey, Damien Brunner, Brad Boyes, Vinny Prospal, Ryan Whitney, Hal Gill, Jose Theodore, Milan Hejduk and Ilya Bryzgalov. Phil Kessel is on record saying he doesn’t want to negotiate a new deal during the season. He could be looking for $8 million a season. The Leafs could go eight-years for around $60 to $64 million. Kessel said to the Sun’s Lance Hornby,
“If you make it to the end [of your contract], you are more likely to leave.’’
← Previous Story Morning Hits: Zherdev, Eriksson, Frattin and Ryan