Free Agent Hits: Cowen, Kaberle and Cleary
- Updated: September 6, 2013
- Bruce Garrioch: Senators GM Bryan Murray on Jared Cowen: “We’d love to have him in camp but we played a lot of games without him last year.”
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The Senators and Jared Cowen have some work to do on a new deal according to his agent. They haven’t had talks since last Friday.
“The talks are ongoing. We’re continuing to work on the deal. We’re trying to bridge the gap,” said Valette.
The Senators have tabled an eight-year, $28 million offer and is still on the table as Cowen’s side hasn’t turned it down. They have also talked about Travis Hamonic’s seven-year, $28 million offer. A one-year deal has been ruled out. Can expect them to try and get a deal done in the three to five-year range.
- Igor Eronko: Have been told that Tomas Kaberle didn’t sign with Minsk of the KHL due to family reasons. Nick Kypreos: Sounding like Kaberle will now join Kladno, his old team. Deal could be one-year for $1 million with an out clause.
- Ansar Khan of MLive: Red Wings GM Ken Holland said that Daniel Cleary has an open invitation to attend the Wings training camp next week. Cleary hasn’t said if he’ll attend or not. Cleary turned down a three-year offer from the Wings before the start of free agency. After he didn’t sign, the Wings added Daniel Alfredsson and Stephen Weiss, are now over the salary cap and would have to move out three players to get under the NHL roster limit if they were to sign him. Jim Matheson: The Wings offer was for three-years with a cap hit of $1.7 million, down from the $2.8 million cap hit he had on his last contract.