- Helene St. James: Red Wings Darren Helm didn’t skate yesterday as he has a pulled groin according to GM Ken Holland. Ansar Khan: Holland said that Helm will likely miss the first few days of training camp, they are being cautious.
- Joe McDonald: Bruins Patrice Bergeron’s ribs are still tender but he’ll be ready for camp. Matt Kalman: Bergeron had been skating for a few weeks and said: “So I feel pretty confident I’ll be good for the start of camp and then good for the season.”
- Curtis Zupke: There is no ETA on Ducks Francois Beauchemin’s knee. He is still a ways off from skating, but is with the team.
- Joshua Cooper: Predators Pekka Rinne was taking shots yesterday and did not appear limited. Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: Rinne was cleared by doctors last Thursday “to do a little bit more.”
“This last week was the first time I was taking shots, and on my knees, moving laterally and stuff like that,” Rinne said. “Obviously I need to get more repeats, a lot more ice time, but I’m feeling good, and that’s the main thing.”
- Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel: Panthers GM Dale Tallon said that backup goalie Scott Clemmensen had arthroscopic knee surgery last week, but could be ready for the start of the season. They’ll be looking for a veteran free-agent, but there is no indication that they are interested in bringing back Jose Theodore.
“There will be a lot of transactions during this training camp,” Tallon said between periods of the Panthers-Lightning rookie game Sunday afternoon at Savelogy.com Iceplex. “We’re looking at every possibility, the waiver wire, trades, free agents, whatever we can do to improve.”
- David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News: Sharks Martin Havlat started skating after off-season groin surgery. He’s likely not progressed enough to handle the rigors of training camp. There is not a timetable for his return.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Senators Milan Michalek said he’s 100%. He opted not for knee surgery in the off-season, going with blood serum therapy in Germany instead. He’s been skating for the last month.
“I’ve been able to work out and it’s been good up to now. I’m 100% and ready to go,” said Michalek.