- Tom Gulitti of the Bergon Record: Devils Martin Brodeur won’t be talking about whether he’ll retire after this season or not.
“I’m just going to play this year,” Brodeur said after taking his training camp physical this morning at Prudential Center. “I’m not going to comment on ‘Yes, I will’ or ‘Yes, I won’t’ (retire). So, you can tell your friends around the league they don’t have to ask that question. I’m not going to tell anybody if I’m going to retire or not until I make a decision of coming back or not.”
Elliotte Friedman: Friedman is hearing that the Sabres have told teams that they would be willing to retain some of Thomas Vanek’s salary if they get a deal they like. Vanek has been saying that he won’t sign an extension until he sees the direction of the team, so that may play into this as well.
- John Vogl: Sabres GM Darcy Regier said that trade-talk window is now closed until the start of the season. Can now expect Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller to remain with the team through opening night.
- Elliotte Friedman: Friedman saw Regier’s note on Vanek and Miller. Finds it interesting and will see how it unfolds.
- Bob McKenzie: Expect the Oilers to bring in a heavyweight fighter as both GM Craig MacTavish and coach Dallas Eakins believe it’s required.
- Ian Mendes: The Senators won’t name a captain today. Coach Paul MacLean said they originally considered defenseman Erik Karlsson, but decided that he was too young.