- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Contract extension talks between the Oilers and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins are underway. An extension will likely be in the six to seven year range.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: (mail bag) Asked if he would trade Ales Hemsky for Steve Ott. Matheson thinks the Oilers would do it, but Sabres likely wouldn’t be interested in it. Both sides would likely prefer to have the sandpaper that Ott brings.
- Ansar Khan: Red Wings Tomas Tatar will likely make the Red Wings according to GM Ken Holland.
“It’s an important preseason for a guy like Tats because there’s a lot of depth,” Holland said. “We got decisions to make, but he’ll probably be one of the guys that’s one of the 14 left standing because he’s young, there’s upside potential.
“I like Tats. He plays hard, he goes to the hard areas. He wants the puck, he wants to score.”
- Darren Dreger: Oilers Anton Belov finally had his Visa clear and arrived in Edmonton last night.
- Chuck Gormley: Flyers Claude Giroux said that he shot the puck hard for the first time yesterday since he severed his tendons, felt fine doing so.
- Jonas Siegel: Maple Leafs Frazer McLaren has a fractured pinky finger and will be out at least two weeks.