- Dave Molinari: Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said the “major portion” of the decision to send Simon Despres to the AHL was that he is waiver-exempt.
- Erik Erlendsson: The sending of Ondrej Palat to the AHL and recalling of Brett Connolly is just a paper trail by the Lightning. Palat will be recalled and Connolly will be sent back down.
- Helene St. James: The Red Wings recall goalie Petr Mrazek to replace Jonas Gustavsson (groin). Jared Coreau and Xavier Ouellet were sent to the minors.
- Mark Masters: Maple Leafs Mark Fraser on his helmet negotiation with Canadiens Travis Moen: “To save his hand I was willing to take my helmet off … took a couple secs for him to hear.”
- Russ Bitely: 2013 1st round draft picks that made opening night rosters: Nathan MacKinnon, Sasha Barkov, Seth Jones, Elias Lindholm, Sean Monahan, Rasmus Ristolainen, Valeri Nichushkin and Nikita Zadorov.
- James Mirtle: The Lightning named Martin St. Louis team captain.
- Tom Gulitti of the Bergon Record: The Devils unanimously voted no to hybrid icing.
“Surprised would be an understatement,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said today of the rule being approved. “I don’t have anything more to say on it than that. I thought it was pretty clear in exhibition that it was … I’m just surprised.”
- Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger: Martin Brodeur will either start the season opener on Thursday or their home opener on Friday. He has started 18 consecutive season openers.
“Probably, but it’s going to be up to (coach Pete DeBoer),” he said. “We play back-to-backs. I’m not sure what he has in the back of his mind there. We haven’t really talked about it since I’m back as far as which game I’ll play. For sure I’m not going to play both, so it could be to give me an extra day. Who knows?”