Morning Rumors: Oilers, Erat, lots on the Gardiner, Miller, Giroux and Messier
- Updated: October 9, 2013
- TSNs Insider Trading: The Oilers GM Craig MacTavish may not be panicking but they need help on the blueline after allowing 15 goals in three games. There is some concern. MacTavish said this offseason that he wanted to make a “bold” move and he could be waiting in the weeds to do so. Dreger on Gardiner: they are interested in offers, but are not shopping him. Teams had been calling the Leafs about Cody Franson (while he was unsigned) and some turned to Jake Gardiner, but GM Dave Nonis told teams to make an offer and it would take an elite forward. There have not been any serious offers for Gardiner as of yet. Capitals Martin Erat is playing on the fourth line and getting limited minutes, things could come to a head soon.
- James Mirtle: Why moving Gardiner makes sense: “They’ve got a lot of similar elements in their top six, and they’re not particularly heavy on Randy Carlyle elements.” They have three cheap, young, offensive over defensive minded defensemen in Cody Franson, Gardiner and Morgan Rielly. Dion Phaneuf and Mark Fraser are their only physical bluelines, and coach Randy Carlyle likes physical Dmen. One of the reasons John-Michael Liles didn’t make it in Toronto is that he’s a small, puck-moving, left-handed defenseman. The Leafs don’t have a lot of cap room to added a two-way defenseman to log some minutes. Moving Gardiner in a deal that brings that in, it might make sense, but it’s not likely to work.
- Howard Berger on Berger Bytes: Berger thinks that if the Maple Leafs are going to trade Jake Gardiner, a deal with the Avalanche for Paul Stastny would work. The Leafs would then have to try to move out about $5 million in cap space in a deal with the Avs or with another team(s).
- Bucky Gleason of the Buffalo News: Gleason thinks the Sabres should be playing Jhonas Enroth and shopping Ryan Miller. They need Miller’s groin to improve and for him to remain healthy to help preserve his trade value. Sabres GM Darcy Regier needs to have Flyers GM Peter Laviolette on speed-dial.
- Katie Strang: Flyers Claude Giroux denies the report that there was a rift between him and former coach Peter Laviolette.
- John Shannon: Mark Messier could re-surface in Edmonton doing some part-time scouting/project work. Messier already has full-time job with the Kingsbridge Arena project in New York, but want to stay in the NHL loop.
- Igor Eronko: CSKA of the KHL acquired the rights to Capitals Dmitry Orlov and Jets Ivan Telegin who has refused to report to the AHL.