- Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington: (s/t Pro Hockey Talk) Capitals Martin Erat has been playing on the fourth line and averaging only 7:59 a game. When asked if he has considered asking for a trade, he said: “No, not yet.”
- Josh Rimer: Rimer notes that the next big thing to happen in New York may be a trade to shake things up.
- James Mirtle: Eric Dehatschuk points out on Steve Bernier: How did the Flyers not out bid the Leafs for Bernier? Elliotte Friedman: Was told the Kings really liked Matt Frattin, and the Flyers said they would not trade either Sean Couturier and Brayden Schenn. Scott Cullen: Cullen points out that the Leafs didn’t include the likes of a Couturier or Schenn either. Bob McKenzie: The Flyers didn’t have a backup goalie to include in the deal and the Kings needed one. John Hoven: After talking with Kings GM Dean Lombardi, the second round pick may have been more important.
- Katie Strang: Islanders Matt Moulson is entering the final year of his three-year deal that pays him $3.13 million per season. Comparisons could be Jason Pominville’s five-year, $28 million deal, Joe Pavelski’s five-year, $30 million or Nathan Horton’sseven-year, $37.1 million.
“Suffice it to say, he will do very well,” surmised one agent.
The Islanders may be reluctant to pay him more than John Tavares’s $5.5 million. The two sides haven’t begun talks, but Islanders GM Garth Snow said in a text that it’s his intention to re-sign Moulson.
“I love playing on Long Island. Obviously, I want to be here,” he told ESPN.com “I want to do like I do every year — have a career year and hope everything takes care of itself.”
If talks don’t work out, he could be on the market as the trade deadline approaches.
“It’s something that comes with the territory,” Moulson said of rampant trade rumors in the past. “The first year, the first time I experienced it, you get a little nervous, but [now] I’ve got enough things to worry about it in my life. That’s not going be something I’m gonna bother with; I’m just going to play.”
- The Globe and Mail Podcast: James Mirtle and Eric Dyhatschek talk about the Flames, Laviolette’s firing and Jake Gardiner trade rumors.