Morning Rumors: Gardiner, Yakupov, Vanek, Oilers goaltending options, Phaneuf, Maata, and Martinez
- Updated: October 16, 2013
- James Mirtle: Mirtle heard that the asking price for Maple Leafs defenseman Jake Gardiner was “a ****load.”
- Tim Panaccio: Addressing Nail Yakupov rumors, why would the Flyers need another Russian head case? Oilers Ales Hemsky makes sense, but the asking price is likely too high. Adam Kimelman: Kimelman responds to Panaccio saying that Yakupov is not a head case, noting there is a big difference between a 19-year old and a the Flyers last goalie.
- Bruce Garrioch: The Coyotes have quietly denied interest in Sabres Thomas Vanek.
- John Vogl: Vogl notes that Vanek would look good beside John Tavares and countryman Michael Grabner.
- Darren Dreger: The Oilers will need to find a No. 1 goalie, and then have to decide if they would be willing to trade one of their young guns.
- Pierre LeBrun: Bob McKenzie has already reported that the Oilers have already reached out to teams about goaltenders. Options for the Oilers could be: Ryan Miller (sense that GM Darcy Regier may prefer to wait to build a bigger market for Miller), Jonas Hiller (likely too early for the Ducks to consider), Michal Neuvirth (if the Capitals feel they can live without him) and Brian Elliott.
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: The Oilers are at 49 contracts, so trading a draft pick or signing a free agent eliminates some roster flexibility. Blues goalie Brian Elliott makes sense, but the Blues may not want to take back salary. Is it worth an assets to get Elliott or Ryan Miller. Though the Senators likely wouldn’t trade him, Robin Lehner would be a good trade target.Thought is that if Dion Phaneuf comes down on money, the Maple Leafs may go a little longer on term.Trade market is cool with the Avalanche and Flames playing well.With Kris Letang getting close to returning, the Penguins will have to decide whether to keep Olli Maatta or return him to junior. They could keep eight defenseman, put someone on waivers or try to make a trade.
Some teams have called the Kings about Alec Martinez.
Three teams have talked about how they would like to add Thomas Vanek.