- Edmonton Oilers 2014-15 Season Primer
- Vancouver Canucks 2014-15 Season Primer
- San Jose Sharks 2014-15 Season Primer
- Los Angeles Kings 2014-15 Season Primer
- Calgary Flames 2014-15 Season Primer
- Arizona Coyotes 2014-15 Season Primer
- Anaheim Ducks 2014-15 Season Primer
- Winnipeg Jets 2014-15 Season Primer
- St. Louis Blues 2014-15 Season Primer
- Nashville Predators 2014-15 Season Primer
- Minnesota Wild 2014-15 Season Primer
- Dallas Stars 2014-15 Season Primer
- Colorado Avalanche 2014-15 Season Primer
- Chicago Blackhawks 2014-15 Season Primer
- Washington Capitals 2014-15 Season Primer
- Pittsburgh Penguins 2014-15 Season Primer
- Philadelphia Flyers 2014-15 Season Primer
- New York Rangers 2014-15 Season Primer
- New York Islanders 2014-15 Season Primer
- New Jersey Devils 2014-15 Season Primer
- Columbus Blue Jackets 2014-15 Season Primer
- Carolina Hurricanes 2014-15 Season Primer
- Toronto Maple Leafs 2014-15 Season Primer
- Tampa Bay Lightning 2014-15 Season Primer
- Ottawa Senators 2014-15 Season Primer
- Montreal Canadiens 2014-15 Season Primer
- Florida Panthers 2014-15 Season Primer
- Detroit Red Wings 2014-15 Season Primer
- Buffalo Sabres 2014-15 Season Primer
- Boston Bruins 2014-15 Season Primer
Morning Rumors: Sabres, Oilers, Miller, Vanek, Yakupov, Flyers and Goaltenders
- Updated: October 17, 2013
- Bucky Gleason of the Buffalo News: SportsNets Nick Kypreos has heard that Sabres GM Darcy Regier could be in trouble.
“In a perfect world, the ownership group in Buffalo would have rather have waited up until Christmas, but I’m hearing that the decision could come a lot sooner, and they ultimately will make the change,” Kypreos said. “They’re feeling the heat from the fans, that’s for sure.”
There is talk that the Sabres and Oilers are talking about a big that could involve Ryan Miller and/or Thomas Vanek for Nail Yakupov and more. The Oilers may not make the deal unless they are convinced they might be able to re-sign Miller. Vanek may bring the Sabres less as he may only be a rental.
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: Carchidi thinks that Thomas Vanek would be the perfect match with the Flyers. The Flyers have only scored 10 goals and are off to a 1-6 start. GM Paul Holmgren may look to make a move to try and secure his job. A deal could bring the Sabres some prospects (maybe Scott Laughton, Nick Cousins, Oliver Lauridsen) and/or draft picks. Craig Berube has only been behind the bench for three games, so they may need some more time to adjust to his systems.
“I think we have to be patient and let [Berube] implement his system,” said Peter Luukko, president of the Flyers’ parent company, Comcast-Spectacor. “It makes no sense to panic. We still believe in our players.”
- Scott Burnside of ESPN: Ryan Miller and Ilya Bryzgalov remain the most interesting goalie names out there. Brian Elliott is the odd man out in St. Louis. Jose Theodore is still looking for a team. Bryzgalov wouldn’t cost a team anything except the money. Miller has a limited no-trade clause and won’t come cheap. The Sabres will need to move Miller before the trade deadline as he’s unlikely to re-sign. Burnside drops Nail Yakupov’s name in a potential deal with the Oilers.
- Chuck Gormley: There is lots of trade chatter going on at the Capitals-Rangers game. There were lots of scouts in the press box, as well as Ray Shero (USA), Steve Yzerman, Kevin Lowe (Canada).
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Ilya Bryzgalov’s Las Vegas tryout is over.
“Bryz will train at home in [New Jersey] until the right NHL job comes around,” his agent Ritch Winter told ESPN.com via email Wednesday night. “He has turned down one NHL offer recently and will wait until the right opportunity presents itself. There is no rush. He is in great shape and ready to go when the right opportunity arises.”
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: The Oilers are not looking for a top-four defenseman, but are looking for a rugged third pairing defenseman. If the Oilers are not in the playoff race at the trade deadline, Ales Hemsky will likely be dealt. Since they are at 49 contracts, would likely have to be a player for player trade if they were to make a move. Nick Schultz and his $3.5 million salary could be trouble. The Oilers are not giving up on Devan Dubnyk. Matheson notes that Ryan Miller is better than Jonas Hiller, and that the Capitals may be willing to Michal Neuvirth. Matheson isn’t sold on Brian Elliott.
- William DePaoli: Likely that the Sabres next GM will come from the Penguins organization.