VIDEO: Two Questionable Hits From Nazem Kadri … Suspension Coming?

UPDATE: Chris Johnston: Nazem Kadri’s hearing will be for his hit on Niklas Backstrom. John Shannon: The NHL did look at Kadri’s hit on Granlund but did not view the head as the principle point of contact.

The NHL will be looking into a couple of Nazem Kadri’s hits from last night. Kadri received two minutes for his hit on Niklas Backstrom and a match penalty for his hit on Mikael Granlund.

• Nick Kypreos: Kadri will have a phone hearing today at 1:00 PM.
  • Jonas Siegel: “Rulebook states that match penalty shall be imposed on any player who “deliberately attempts to injure” or “deliberately injures”.”

Do you think Kadri SHOULD get suspended for his hit(s)? Which hit? Do you think he WILL get suspended?

Kadri’s hit on Niklas Backstrom

Kadri’s hit on Mikael Granlund

1. Chris Figiel

November 14, 2013 at 8:54 am

I think he gets 2 games for the Backstrom hit and 0 on the Granlund hit.

2. Shane

November 14, 2013 at 9:41 am

He should have gotten tossed for the first hit on Backstrom and then the Granlund hit wouldn’t even be an issue! Backstom was in his crease, puck was no where near and Kadri made no attempt to avoid contact and actually followed through with a forearm to the head. 5 games but he will only get 2 as a first offender.

3. I_am_I

November 14, 2013 at 9:45 am

Two seems about right, primarily because he had two borderline hits in the same game.
    We’ve seen worse hits on goalies go unpunished (hello Ryan Miller) and it doesn’t look like Kardri was looking at Backstrom while running him over and the Granlund hit wasn’t from behind, and he didn’t leave his feet when throwing it, nor did the elbow come up.
    One alone he probably gets away with, but two in the same game where he hits their heads is probably just going to annoy Shanahan.

4. hughie

November 14, 2013 at 9:52 am

Zero games.
    Incidental contact with Backstrom.
    Clean hit on Granlund who had the puck, was napping and deserved to get laid out.

5. Kaddish

November 14, 2013 at 10:55 am

Hughie you are dumb and must be a leafs fan. Totally obvious that you need glasses since you are blind. He one hit backstrom blatently, he must have been praying to Allah. Two he left his feet on the granlund hit. Overrated ankle bender receives four games

6. I_am_I

November 14, 2013 at 11:14 am

Kaddish, didn’t look like his skates left the ice on Granlund. Also not sure what the Allah comment is supposed to be other than racism? Care to explain that?

hughie, Kadri made no attempt to avoid Backstrom in the blue paint and just ran him over. Though the league doesn’t seem to protect goalies anymore so I have no idea what Shanahan does with it.

7. Dan

November 14, 2013 at 11:16 am

Hughie is as big a moron as the Toronto Star reporter who suggested that Kadri dropped his elbow and tried to avoid Backstrom. Kadri knew exactly where he was on the ice and did not need to be looking Backstrom in the eye. If the shoe was on the other foot and it was one of the Leaf’s goalies, all Hell would have heard about this morning. Kadri deserves at least 5 games for running Backstrom but will get 2. With all this said, I cannot believe a single team-mate did not go Wild on Kadri. In Buffalo, it cost a couple of players their jobs ie Gaustad.

8. General_Guy

November 14, 2013 at 11:58 am

I think he deserves 5 games, but he won’t get that many.

These 2 hits does put him in the same league as other aggitators in the league and I think he can expect a little more ‘extra attention’ from players on other teams.
    His dream to be a star and get a big payday will be limited with the role he has decided to take on the team. he really just becomes and expendable part of a team and there are may others in the league that can fit that role better.

9. Kaddish

November 14, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Look at the second review of the clip, clearly leaves his feet. Not racism, just stating some friendly comments towards a Toronto plug. Obviously you never played above squirt hockey. I am not racist just aggregated at a stupid player trying to become something more for his team then a little bitch looking like Crosby.

10. Kaddish

November 14, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Aggrevated stupid auto correct

11. James

November 14, 2013 at 12:43 pm

He should get 5 games for the hit on Backstrom. Coming from a Leafs fan. (And Kadri is in my hockey pool)

Not really digging this cheap shot bullshit that he’s been pulling as of late. It’d be a little bit different if he would actually grow some testies and drop his gloves every once in a while to back up his play.

12. Grumpy Ole Man

November 14, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Mike Rupp would have jumped the bench, Cooke would have two handed him

13. Bryan

November 14, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Enough of this first time offender bull saying he should only get two games max… In my opinion Kadri is a repeat offender and it just so happens that both dirty hits were in the same game. But then again according to Sham-ahan, Kessel wasn’t a repeat offender even though he obviously thought he was playing baseball in multiple preseason games.

14. I_am_I

November 14, 2013 at 2:49 pm

@Kaddish One foot is clearly on the ice at all times. I’m not sure what level I’ve played matters, I’m not American but Squirt is 10&under there right? More or less Atom in Canada. I played past that.

@General_Guy: he has 14 points in 18 games. If he continues and puts up 60 points this season and next he’ll get his payday. Doesn’t matter if he plays a pest or not.

I’m just saying I’ve seen worse hits get nothing and other hits not as bad get suspensions. I’m sticking with he gets 2.

@Bryan I don’t get your point. Are you saying repeat offenders should not get a stiffer punishment? Or that Kadri and Kessel have been suspended before?

15. Bryan

November 14, 2013 at 3:06 pm

@I_am_I I guess my point was a bit vague. The most frustrating part for me is the inconsistency of punishment being handed down by Shanahan. Calling someone a first time offender is a precedent that should not be even considered. Multiple offender yes. Increase punishment. The Kadri hit on Backstrom is blatant and should be suspendable. Handing someone like John Scott seven games for a headshot should be no different from this Kadri hit. John Scott had no history of headshots but rather a reputation for fighting yet he received 7 games. Regardless that might have been in Buffalo’s benefit to have him suspended but if that is the precedent then Kadri’s blatant headshot should also be punishable by 7 games.

November 14, 2013 at 3:53 pm

im ok with the hit in the context/spirit of competitiveness… i think he should get 2 games though.. the goalie is at a clear disadvantage to these kinds of hits… but, i would stay away from kadri bashing, as it is not like he is in the same league as someone like kaleta or john scott.. he made a mistake, everyone does, leave it at that…

17. I_am_I

November 14, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I get it now.
    I agree that the inconsistency is frustrating. They need to clarify the rule so _any_ shot to the head will be suspended and take out most of the judgement.
    That said I think Scott’s hit was worse, he blatantly went after Eriksson’s head from halfway across the ice and he had his elbow up.

18. Bryan

November 14, 2013 at 4:05 pm

@hotwings Kadri is in the same league as those two players and it is called the NHL. And to clarify the bashing was aimed at the inconsistency of Shanahan and using player types/ labels instead of calling a spade a spade. Punishments need to be consistent no matter who the player is. If it becomes a pattern as it was in Kaleta’s case the suspension should be increased as it was. Scott’s 7 game suspension was a joke of a ruling with it being his first headshot offense while other players get 2 for the same type of hit. Same goes for the preseason suspension that Kessel was handed for a situation that he could have skated away from. Not to mention he picked up his stick and went back up to the plate for strike two and was handed a free pass through the rest of preseason.

19. Bryan

November 14, 2013 at 4:10 pm

@I_am_I I guess that the only person who really knows if John Scott actually was aiming at the head would be John Scott himself. I agree it wasn’t a clean hit but look at Chara and his history of elbows & headshots that have gone un-called for years now due to the fact that he is a “star” and also in the high end of the 6 foot height range. End rant.

November 14, 2013 at 4:15 pm

cmon, why would kessel skate away from john scott? scott got what he deserved if he wanted to fight kessel… it seems you interpret things w/out context..

21. It happens!

November 14, 2013 at 4:15 pm

The hit on Backstrom was bad and stupid, 2 games because he has no history of suspensions. As for the hit on Granlund if you watch it from all angles he actually hits his should first and then glances off to his face and Granlund was turning/looking down. Granlund needs to protect himself to some extent and the onus is also on him to be aware of impending checks. Kadri was playing with a lot of tenacity last night and was a little over zealous, no question!

The tool who referenced Kadri and Allah IS a racist piece of junk and should watch what they say on public forums! You sir are a loser and need to be educated or punched in the face, whatever best for people of your limited intelligence. When is everyone going to stop painting people with these racial stereotypes. It is absolutely ridiculous and disgusting!

22. It happens!

November 14, 2013 at 4:16 pm

…hits his shoulder…

23. Bryan

November 14, 2013 at 4:21 pm

@hotwings For the same reason he shouldn’t repeatedly swing his stick at opposing players. Repeatedly and in two separate games. That’s something no person who calls themselves a hockey player should be proud of.

November 14, 2013 at 5:34 pm

again, context… you got john scott, an 8 foot menace against the pocket sized kessel… it was an exceptional situation (context) and there is no need to make kessel feel guilty or ashamed in some “real hockey” sense…

25. Kaddish

November 14, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Again just beaking at him dude. I would love to see you try to punch me. I am probably way more educated than you will ever be. I know racial comments are taken differently and over analyzed just like you did. In a diverse community prejudice is something everyone does, yes even you, make judgments. I know everyone needs to get along and the sad part is people still build stereotypes of people before they get to know someone. It was a cruel joke but a a hockey fan it was a pun. It’s a public forum so you can speak your mind and it is created to start arguments and for people to state their opinion.

26. Kaddish

November 14, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Sorry auto correct blows “as a”

27. Dan

November 14, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I could not agree more with the comments posted by “It hapens” Kaddish is a racist pig. I am white and Christian but could not be more embarrassed by an idiot using a moronic excuse like “I was just beaking at him”. Maybe in the hole you live, it is OK but not in Canada. I played Junior hockey and continue to Coach Rep hockey and your behavior and language is NOT tolerable in sport or anywhere else in a decent society. You can continue to talk tough all you want but you are trash. Grow a brain.

28. Kaddish

November 14, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Sorry for my comment. Inappropriate I agree, again just kidding if you can read more. Sure you are Christian though? Thought Christians were forgiving, he or she who judges will be judged themselves, guessing if god is judging you the way you judge people, you are screwed. I do have a big brain you are just obliviously cruel at a student providing irrationale comments. Congrads you can sleep thinking you fixed rascism. I am not racist at all but it is people like you who think they can fix it in one day by calling someone out.

November 15, 2013 at 12:48 am

i have a hard time believing that anyone who is intelligent boasts of their intelligence and wildly compares their intelligence as greater than that of a complete stranger. It seems your english is a bit rough, so, in other words, you have all the hallmarks of someone who is not smart.

30. I_am_I

November 15, 2013 at 1:17 am

I’m not sure I want to wade into your Mensa meeting with hockey talk but I assume everyone noticed the Kadri got 3 games on the Backstrom hit. So we were close on our guesses.

As for the rest of the stuff here is my $0.02

Scott got slammed because his job in the league is to punch faces, not play hockey.

Kessel was fine until he took that second swing after Ashton (I think) was dealing with Scott. The poke after the fact was funny though. As an aside did everyone read Down Goes Brown’s piece on the suspension hearing? http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2013/09/phil-kessel-suspension.html. If you are a hockey fan and don’t read DGB you’re not doing the internet right.

Boston gets a free pass in general, not just Chara. I seem recall Lucic making some incidental contact with Miller…

Kaddish: comment was inappropriate, if people don’t call out racism they are complicit, that is why we call it out. We aren’t fixing it.

Did I miss anything?

31. nick

November 15, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Should i trade Kadri, dupuis or O’reilly for Nash?

32. Mega Cock Shemale Cam

December 2, 2013 at 3:31 am

Hi my loved one! I wish to say that this article is awesome, nice
    written and come with approximately all significant infos.
    I would like to peer more posts like this .