Morning Rumors: Senators, Team Needs, Flyers and Rangers
- Updated: November 21, 2013
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Two sources had said that Senators GM Bryan Murray is working the phones trying to find a top four defenseman that would be able to step in right away.
“I get the sense Murray would like to do something,” said a league executive before the visit by the Wild. “It might even just be a change for the sake of change.”
The Senators also need to find a fit in their top 6 as Milan Michalek has struggled, but they hope he will turn it around. The defenseman market is thin and lots of teams are looking to improve in that area. The Rangers are willing to trade Michael Del Zotto, the Penguins could move Matt Niskanen and Stars could move Vernon Fiddler. The Senators have $8.409 million in cap space, but Murray would have move out some salary in a deal.
- Craig Custance of ESPN: Matching team needs with trade options. Predators: Might need a goalie – Jose Theodore, Jonas Hiller and Michal Neuvirth. They will likely wait to see what Rinne’s results are from his MRI next week. Capitals: Could use a top 4 defenseman. Senators – A puck moving defenseman. Del Zotto could be an option. Blues – Goalie upgrade with Ryan Miller being mentioned. Red Wings – clear roster space for Gustav Nyquist and clearing some cap space. (written before DeKeyser was put on LTIR, Gustav to be called up)
“I’d like to get Nyquist up,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland said when we chatted Tuesday. “I was hoping to make a trade. Obviously, I put our guys on waivers. Other than big trades, nobody really wants to add money right now.”
- TSN Radio: Bob McKenzie: The Flyers would want to a really good defenseman if they trade Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier.
- Hope Smoke: McKenzie: “Philly’s not shopping Schenn (or Couturier) but they know that to get what they want they need to move one of those guys. Holmgren is liable to trade anybody so Brayden Schenn isn’t an untouchable. They want a really good defenseman in return”
- TSN Radio: Darren Dreger: Rangers GM Glen Sather is making calls and taking them on Michael Del Zotto.
- Patrick Kearns of the Fourth Period: Kearns thinks the Rangers should hold onto Del Zotto as his value is at an all-time low. If they were to move Del Zotto, they may be comfortable with Dylan McIlrath being able to step in a bottom pairing role.