Rangers Sign Henrik Lundqvist To Seven-Year Contract Extension

The New York Rangers have signed goalie Henrik Lundqvist to a seven year contract extension worth $59.5 million. It carries a salary cap hit of $8.5 million.

The 31-year old Lundqvist was drafted by the Rangers 205th in the 7th round of the 2000 draft.

Lundqvist is coming off of a six-year, $41.25 million deal, a $6.875 million cap hit.

What do you think of the deal?

1. Nick Longo

December 4, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I think that the contract is way too high. A week or so before they came to the agreement, I posted an article about how I though he should be used as trade bait. The name commands authority, even if his play is slipping. New York should have taken a good backup back, given Talbot the starting job and filled some holes up front. You can’t do that with a guy who’s been given this big of a contract. Check the link below for my take on the situation.

2. Leaf_Fan

December 4, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Bit much. That team is going down and into rebuild I feel. Trade route isn’t working for them. Gonna be that much harder to trade him, kinda like Lou

3. John

December 4, 2013 at 1:55 pm

NTC?

4. Brad

December 4, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Very bad contract! If they did 4 years at this rate, than it is acceptable. But 7 years at $8.5 mill per, is awful for the Rangers!! They will regret this contract in 3 years, and be stuck with paying $8.5 mill for the duration, because no team in the league will take this on.

5. James

December 4, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Terrible – well, for Rangers fans. Goalies are like closers in baseball. While you need a good one, making a long term commitment is likely to blow up in your face, particularly past 30.

6. Marc

December 4, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Totally ridiculous!!

I predict they will buy him back in 3-4 years max.

7. A Walker

December 4, 2013 at 4:41 pm

They wanted to keep him and I’m afraid there are several other teams willing to ante up as much or maybe more. He’s been elite and it’s not unprecedented for a goalie to continue to excel into their late 30′s.

8. Jesse James

December 4, 2013 at 5:28 pm

This contract is proof that some GMs have learned NOTHING. Redden, Drury, Gomez (because they are the ones who signed him to that totally ridiculous deal), Richards (who is playing well but definitely not worth the deal he has signed), and now Lundqvist. I am sure he still has some great years in him but…..8.5M$ cap hit?!?! Nash, Richards and Lundqvist accumulate 21 925 000 and they have 7 forwards, 3 defencemen and backup goalie who are UFA next summer. The management of this team should really start thinking about rebuilding instead of over-overpaying for the best possible UFAs every year.

9. luke

December 4, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I think they have their goalie… I also think they’re banking on the fact that the salary cap will be rising significantly in the next few years. Is he overpaid? Maybe. But here’s some perspective. I’m an Avs fan. I would have LOVED for the Avs to throw some money as someone the past few years. At least the Rangers aren’t afraid to gamble a bit.

December 4, 2013 at 7:50 pm

i dont think the deal is that extreme… henrik is proven and goalies dont tail off performance wise, as most forwards/defencemen do…

solid move by the rangers… as usual, its their forward ranks that need more attention…

11. Nate

December 4, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Out of all the names Jesse presented, none of them were re-signs. Lundqvist has proved he can play in NYC, and he tends to prove a lot of people wrong.

12. dave the jew

December 6, 2013 at 4:30 pm

cant win with him

Sather is 3 shades of moron

13. Nick Longo

December 7, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I think Loungo asking if he was sure about the deal says enough. He’s been screwed over by a big contract. The only thing I think is smarter is that they’re paying him the big money up fron (11 mil the first few years) and keeping it minimal towards the end of the contract (only about 5 mil)