Morning Rumors: Mason, Flames, Coyotes, Philips, Maple Leafs, Islanders and Bouchard
- Updated: 12/10/2013
- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: Flyers GM Paul Holmgran wants to get a deal done with goalie Steve Mason, and Mason would like to stay. Mason is making $1.5 million this season, and could get no less than $4 million in a long-term deal. Mason’s agent:
“He’s under contract and the Flyers have the right to qualify him come end of June,” Thun said. “If they qualify him, he has one year before unrestricted free agency. We could go to arbitration.
“Assuming he continues to play well an arbitrator could award him a pretty big number compared to where he is right now.”
“I think Price is a very good comparable,” Thun said.
- Chris Nichols of SportsNet: Brian Burke on Hockey Central about the rising salary cap and the Flames
“Well, we’re budgeted to spend to the cap now. I know if you look at where we are now salary-wise, we’ve got cap room. We’re able to make some significant moves here at the trade deadline if they present themselves.
“That being said, Jay hasn’t seen the value yet. We’re not just going to spend money to spend money. But our ownership group is committed to cap dollars. We are prepared to spend to the cap the moment we see value there.
“As the cap goes up, that’s something from a revenue standpoint we should be able to keep pace with. Once we see the value, we intend to be a cap team at all times.”
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Source saying the Coyotes have pitched the NHL on idea of having an outdoor game next season in conjunction with the Cardinals hosting the Super Bowl. Brian Burke’s Christmas freeze has gone into effect for the Flames. NHL Christmas freeze starts Dec. 19th at 11:59 pm.
- Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen: Senators Chris Philips is entering the final year of his three-year, $9,25 million deal, and preliminary discussions have take place on a contract extension.
“There have been a couple of talks (with agent J.P. Barry), but it’s quiet right now,” Phillips said before Monday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers. “Put it this way: I’m not planning on retiring, I’m planning on playing. Hopefully, (a contract) gets done. Obviously, sooner rather than later. It has been a thought, for sure. It’s not weighing me down and I’m trying not to think about it too much, but obviously it’s there.”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “What I know, is that the Leafs are among the most active in looking to make moves. Nonis is prepared to do anything” … “Nonis isn’t looking for a small little move, big players are available which is why you hear Gardiner’s name thrown out there”
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “Islanders need a goaltender & a defenseman. People that watch the Isles say you can fire the coach but Snow needs to address G/D”
- John Vogl: Source saying the Sabres have no interest in claiming Islanders Pierre-Marc Bouchard off waivers.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The Senators are looking for a top-six forward to play with Jason Spezza and may consider claiming Pierre-Marc Bouchard off waivers. The would have to clear some salary if they do so.