Morning Rumors: Senators, Oilers, Jets, Hurricanes, Leafs, Panthers, Sharks, Vokoun, Flames and Expansion
- Updated: December 18, 2013
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: The Senators have been looking for a puck moving defenseman over the past month. The improved play of Jared Cowen and the call-up of Cody Ceci, may have cooled the search for now. They have switched their focus to a top-six forward. Nothing is imminent.
- The Fourth Period: The Oilers are trying to trade Linus Omark, who has asked to be traded according to a Swedish paper. GM Craig MacTavish is looking for a defenseman, but unless they can make a bigger deal, they will likely only get a draft pick.
- Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun: Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff still believes in his teams core, and isn’t going to make a move just to silence the critics.
“You have to develop a core and to develop it, you have to make some commitments to have some players around,” said Cheveldayoff, who spoke to a pair of print reporters prior to the game against the Buffalo Sabres. “We would like our core to get larger, to expand and that’s all part of the process.”
- Luke DeCock of the Raleigh News & Observer: The Hurricanes will have to move out an goalie. Cam Ward isn’t going anywhere. Both Justin Peters and Anton Khudobin’s contracts expire at the end of the season. Currently, Peters has more trade value than Khudobin.
- Michael Smith: It is still possible that the Hurricanes send Anton Khudobin to the AHL on a conditioning assignment now that he’s been medically cleared to play.
- The Fourth Period: The Maple Leafs and Dion Phaneuf agent continue to work on a long-term contract extension. Darren Dreger said on TSN that a “deal will get done to keep him captain of the Maple Leafs” but “it’s not quite done yet.”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “Sooner rather than later Nonis is going to have to step into this mess. Rival GMs tell me that Gardiner is available”
- Hope Smoke: Dreger: “Gardiner’s value is going to plummet if stapled to the bench. Time for Leafs to ask what Garinder’s long-term future is with club” … “Nonis isn’t going to waive a magic wand and have a deal materialize. Leafs asking price for Gardiner is a top-six forward”
- Hope Smoke: Dreger: “Let’s be mindful and respectful of Carlyle’s resume. There is no chance that Nonis makes a coaching change in season.”
- Hockey Central: Panthers GM Dale Tallon: “It’s hard to buy a team. I tried that and it failed miserably in Chicago…. You have to build a team.” … “We’ll be players, no doubt, in free agency…. We have a lot of money to spend.”
- Andy Strickland: Strickland has been told that Joe Thornton re-signing with the Sharks could be tied into them re-signing Patrick Marleau as well.
- Josh Yohe: Tomas Vokoun told a Czech paper that he might retire.
- Roger Millions: On the Flames game last night: “When you watch this game..you know why Brian Burke insists this team needs to be bigger. Little battles lost constantly. Size matters”
- Hope Smoke: TSNs Ray Ferraro on Maple Leafs David Bolland: “I don’t think there’s a chance that David Bolland hits the open market. I think he gets 6 years for $30 million”
- Travis Yost: Bob McKenzie floated the next two spots for expansion could be Seattle and then Las Vegas.
- Kevin McGran: Scouting the Maple Leafs – Panthers: Avalanche, Oilers, Coyotes, Lightning, Stars, Rangers, Flyers, Blues, Panthers, Canucks, Canadiens and Predators.