Morning Rumors: Souray, Gaborik, Laviolette, Playoffs, Pacioretty and 2015 Winter Classic
- Updated: December 23, 2013
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson wonders where Sheldon Souray fits in on the Ducks blueline when he returns. Marian Gaborik is now out with a broken collarbone, and the Blue Jackets wouldn’t mind getting out from his $7.5 million contract. It likely won’t happen till closer to the trade deadline when his salary gets closer to $1.5 million.
- Larry Brooks: Brooks doesn’t think the report of the Islanders interested in Peter Laviolette if they decide on a coaching change. Many GMs didn’t know how the playoff format would work until a couple weeks ago. Expect the GMs to push for a change over the summer. The NHLPA insisted on the wild-card/crossover.
“If that’s what the players wanted, there couldn’t have been any players involved in the decision,” one prominent player said this week.
- Arpon Basu: Canadiens Max Pacioretty is not Jacques Martin’s type of player. GM Marc Bergevin won’t trade him to the East. Credible sources are reporting these rumors, so you think there has to be something to them.
- Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer: Two sources saying the Capitals will host the Flyers in the 2015 Winter Classic.