Morning Rumors: Moulson, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Ranger, Pacioretty, Eberle and Dupuis
- Updated: December 28, 2013
- Mike Halford of Pro Hockey Talk: Matt Moulson may consider re-signing with the Sabres.
“Definitely, I think there is,” Moulson told CBC when asked about the possibility of re-signing in Buffalo. “I don’t know what they think of me. I love playing for Teddy [Nolan].”
The Sabres also have pending UFA Ryan Miller.
“I think they’re trying to figure out guys they want to hang on to and they think they can build a core around,” Miller said, per the Buffalo News. “We’ll see how it goes.”
- Darren Dreger: (this morning) The Leafs and Dion Phaneuf are very close on a 7 year contract extension worth $7 million per season. Term was the key.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “I think the Phaneuf extension is as close to being done as it can get. I’ll be surprised if we’r still talking about this next week.” David Alter: Dion Phaneuf offered a no comment when asked if his contract extension was close.
- Nick Kypreos: The Leafs and Phaneuf are closing in a deal, but it’s not done yet. Some issues still need to be resolved, and could come quickly if they are.
- James Mirtle: “The problem I have with all this “Leafs must re-sign Phaneuf” talk is how rotten they are with him. It’s not as big a slam dunk as some say.” … “Folks, Phaneuf is on pace for 28 points this season. I agree he’s one of Leafs better players but let’s not oversell the season he’s having.”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “I think Gardiner is a late blooming hockey player. It’s why the Leafs are reluctant to trade him” … “I still think the Leafs end up moving Gardiner between now and the deadline.”
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “The experiment with Ranger isn’t over yet. He may become a 4-5 for the Leafs but he isn’t there right now” … “Make no mistake, Ranger chose Toronto. He had other options. He and Eakins had a great relationship.” … “If it doesn’t work in Toronto, Ranger will get a shot somewhere else. There were times last season where Eakins played him 40 mins” … “If the Leafs made Ranger available Eakins and the Oilers will pick him up tomorrow”
- Matt Larkin: “Pacioretty trade rumors baffle me. “Size and strength are our weaknesses, so let’s trade our top power forward.” Wait, what?”
- Ryan Lambert: Nick Kypreos advocates the Oilers trading Jordan Eberle.
- Dave Molinari: Penguins GM Ray Shero on the urgency to make a trade after the loss of Pascal Dupuis: “We’ll see what happens down the line here, but there’s nothing imminent in that regard.”