Afternoon Notes: Blue Jackets, Sabres, Pens, Canucks, Blues, Coyotes, Bruins, Flames and Caps
- Updated: January 2, 2014
- Jeff Rimer: Blue Jackets Nathan Horton will make his Blue Jackets debut tonight against the Coyotes. Sergei Bobrovsky is expected to be their backup.
- Mike Harrington: Sabres Henrik Tallinder will be out one to two weeks with an upper-body injury. Suffered the injury on Sunday.
- Dan Rosen: The Penguins claim Taylor Pyatt off waivers from the Rangers.
- Farhan Lalji: The Canucks send Joachim Eriksson to the AHL. Looking like Roberto Luongo could return to the lineup this weekend.
- Jim Fox: Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said that David Backes will be a game time decision. Chris Stewart is possible for tonight, but he still has to clear ‘protocol’ first. Lou Korac: Korac doesn’t count on Backes playing tonight. Sounded more like someone who could play soon, but not tonight.
- St. Louis Blues: The Blues have recalled Jake Allen from the AHL.
- Sarah McLellan: Coyotes Shane Doan skated today and will see a doctor this afternoon. His return hasn’t been categorized as imminent.
- Boston Bruins: Niklas Svedberg will start tonight. Claude Julien on Svedberg: “so I’m looking forward to seeing to him in net tonight”
- Wes Gilbertson: Chris Breen cleared waivers and was assigned to the AHL by the Flames. Defenseman Dennis Wideman is expected to return.
- Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington: Philipp Grubauer will start in net for the Capitals and Brooks Laich will be in the lineup. It will be Grubauer’s fifth straight game.