Morning Rumors: Bruins, Sabres, Habs, Coyotes, Canes, Avs, Pens, Isles, Kings, Rangers and Hotstove Video

• Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The NHL trade deadline is March 5th. The Olympic roster freeze is February 8th till February 23rd.

“The roster freeze will act as a deadline, especially for those teams that want to save a little bit of money,” said a league executive.

“There’s a chance to get deals done in the next few weeks that will get money off the books.”

The Bruins have said they will try to fill the loss of Dennis Seidenberg from within. If that doesn’t work out as planned, they could look at Dan Girardi.

Ryan Miller may not be going anywhere as the new GM may look to re-sign him, and they may not be able to get what they want for him on the trade market. The asking price is three prospects and a first round pick. The Blues may be the only option for Miller, and they may not be looking to trade.

The Canadiens are looking for forward depth. GM Marc Bergevin may have looked at Flames Curtis Glencross, who has two years left at $2.55 million. The Canadiens are looking to trade Daniel Briere.

The Coyotes for looking for forward depth and may look at Sabres Matt Moulson.

Thought is the Hurricanes are not done trading. A couple teams have said the Hurricanes are willing to trade anyone but Eric and Jordan Staal. Teams will call about Jeff Skinner, but he isn’t going anywhere. Jiri Tlusty, Tuomo Ruuttu and Ron Hainsey will likely be traded by the deadline.

The Avs will have to make a decision on Paul Stastny before the trade deadline. If they are able to get a 1st round pick and a prospect for him, they may move him.

• Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Penguins GM Ray Shero on the March 5th trade deadline day.

“A lot can happen between now and then,” Shero said this past week. “But I like our team. I don’t feel like we have to do something.”

Sense withing the organization is that if they make a move, it would be a “hockey trade,” giving up someone significant to get someone of worth and under contract. Shero may be looking for a winger for either Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin. Shero will listen to all offers, but doesn’t mean he’d be actively looking to trade someone like Olli Maata. The Jets are reportedly willing to trade Evander Kane, who has four years left with a $5.25 million cap hit. Shero and Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff have not talked about Kane.

• Adrian Dater of the Denver Post: To retain Ryan O’Reilly’s rights, the Avalanche would have to pay the pending RFA at least $6.5 million. He can’t be traded until after February 28th. Matt Duchene will have a cap hit of $6 million for the next five years. There has been an “uneasy truce” between O’Reilly and the Avalanche since they matched his offer sheet with the Flames. The Avs could sign O’Reilly to an contract extension at any time, but they should draw a line saying, “We won’t pay anyone a dime more than Duchene, no matter what.” Dater doesn’t think they should trade him anytime soon.
  • Arthur Staple of Newsday: Islanders defenseman Andrew MacDonald is on pace for a career year in points and is a pending UFA. GM Garth Snow wouldn’t comment on if there have been contract extension talks. He could become the Islanders best trade chip at the deadline if they are out of the playoff picture.

“I think you realize it’s there, that it’s possible or whatever,” MacDonald said. “I’m hopeful things get done. We’ve dug ourselves a pretty big hole here so there isn’t really time to worry about that.”

• David Pagnotta: As Dennis Bernstein pointed out, the Kings are not finished trading. Nothing is imminent, but they are looking for a scorer.
  • Dennis Bernstein: Oilers Scott Howson was scouting the Kings game last night. Talk is the Oilers are very active and looking to make a move now. Ales Hemsky and Sam Gagner are in the mix.
  • Adrian Dater via Sulia: The Rangers had two scouts at the Avalanche-Sharks game. There are rumors they are interested in Tyson Barrie, but he, along with Ryan Wilson, were not in the lineup. There Rangers were the only Eastern team scouting the game.
  • Chip Alexander: Elias Lindholm could rejoin the Hurricanes in Buffalo for Tuesday’s game.
  • Hotstove: The Sabres are getting closer to naming a new GM, with Bruins assistant GM Jim Benning being the leading candidate. The Oilers could be looking at trading Sam Gagner. Before last night’s game, Michael Del Zotto’s camp and the Rangers hadn’t met yet.

1. Billythebee

January 5, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Rumors persist of bergevin going for Steve ott and drew stafford, but glencross would do fine also but for a high price.

2. PatHoffman

January 5, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Bergevin wants Drew Stafford? Briere for Stafford straight up or are extra pieces involved?

3. Loveenjoy

January 5, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I have also heard that bergevin wants stafford and ott. Didn’t know about glen cross though. I guess he has to explore his options

4. I_am_I

January 5, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Is it just me or does Dater make no sense here? Don’t trade O’Reilly and tell him you won’t pay him more than $6M… Wouldn’t O’Reilly just waiting for the QO and sign it for $6.5M?

5. I_am_I

January 5, 2014 at 8:35 pm

@PatHoffman I’m not sure but I don’t think Buffalo is looking for 36 hear old veterans. I think they want picks and prospects… Rebuilding and all.

January 5, 2014 at 8:36 pm

In theory yes. But the avalanche might not qualify him and then he’d be a ufa. The question then becomes does O’Rielly get 6.5 or more on the open market? That’s top line money and O’Rielly is not a top line player. He’s a GREAT 3rd line center on a contender but I see him more as a Dave Bolland than a Johnathan Toews on a Cup winning team. Will he get 5.5-6? Probably. Then it becomes a matter of how much he wants to stay in Colorado. But hey who knows? Leafs have Clarkson 5.4 so anything’s possible.

7. PatHoffman

January 6, 2014 at 9:00 am

@I_am_I Buffalo has enough picks, they should looking into getting veterans who can still play to pass on good habits to current rookies and prospects coming in the next few years.

8. I_am_I

January 6, 2014 at 9:59 am

@Chris. I get that, but if they don’t plan to qualify him then they should trade him. What I don’t get is don’t trade him and don’t qualify him, which sounds like what Dater says. That is basically “just let him walk at 22″. I bet someone will dump $6M+ on him with term. GMs do crazy stuff. But yes he isn’t worth it, Calgary added a great poison pill to that offer sheet.

@PatHoffman Well since Buffalo has Ott and Stafford who are younger (31 and 28) than Briere (26) and cheaper I don’t really see the attraction from their point of view. I personally think Briere is done, you don’t; that’s cool, we don’t need to agree.

I do agree with you though they should not completely divest of all veterans (like Edmonton) and rack up a decade of top 5 picks that learn to lose. I think they should keep Ott and not deal him for that reason.

9. Habs3

January 6, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Sabres are not going to have interest in briere, also I doubt he’d want to end his career on a team that’s re building. Bergevin is supposedly trying to do something “big” if he can’t get Kane out of Winnipeg then he should be trying to get stastny at the right price.

And if they do try to go out and get some size, which they should, then they should be looking at better options, ott would be alright, but I’d be trying to get clifford from LA, krieder from the rangers, or someone like Bickell from Chicago… All of which are younger, have more potential, and despite the younger age still have just as much experience or more in the playoffs then stafford or glencross.

And the best of brieres career may be over but he still plays his best hockey in the playoffs, he’s just over a point per game in the playoffs with over 100 games of experience, I wouldn’t be trading that for someone like stafford or glencross, both of which have very little playoff experience and barely showed up in the limited time they had in the post season

10. HockeyGuy42

January 15, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Whoever wrote this has awful sources. Penguins trade Geno or Crosby? No way. Get your facts straight.

11. I_am_I

January 15, 2014 at 5:23 pm

@HockeyGuy: if you read it he says trade for a winger to play with Malkin or Crosby…