Morning Rumors: Rangers, Bruins, Penguins, Leafs, Caps, Islanders and Coyotes Offered Flyers Yandle for JVR
- Updated: January 6, 2014
- Larry Brooks of the NY Post: Brooks wonders if the Rangers should use Dan Girardi as a trade chip.
Thus, how much more value as a trade chip, rather than as a first-pair defenseman, might Girardi bring to a Ranger organization that doesn’t appear close to a championship and all but certainly will have to undertake a significant reload over the next offseason or two?
The Rangers could demand two “A” prospects and a draft pick for Girardi. They haven’t yet, but the Bruins could come calling after the loss of Dennis Seidenberg. Brooks wonders if the Ducks, Kings and Sharks would be interested as well. Brooks also brings up Ryan Callahan’s name. Would they be closer to a Stanley Cup with both Girardi and Callahan on long-term deals, or with four high-end prospects they obtain from trading both?
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Many people think the Penguins will dangle defenseman Simon Despres to obtain a forward. Maple Leafs James Reimer could be made available this summer. Capitals Michal Neuvirth has now been a scratch for nine straight games and could be on the move.
- Adrian Dater via Sulia: Comment on Bruce Garrioch’s Sunday column note about the Paul Stastny decision management has, whether to re-sign or trade. Dater thinks it’s a bit too early, but the Olympic break may act as an early trade deadline.
- Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: On the day the Flyers traded James van Riemsdyk to the Maple Leafs for Luke Schenn, the Coyotes offered them Keith Yandle. It was the same deal the Maple Leafs got.
- B.D. Gallof: The Islanders will not overpay for a defenseman as they have prospects like Reinhart, Pokka, Pelech, Pulock, Mayfield and Pedan.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “There are the demons in Kadri’s game that cause the coaches to not trust you. Carlyle is a tough hombre & Kadri needs to earn time.” … “A coaching change will not happen in season. Kadri and the young players can’t wait for a coaching change to turn their game around.”