Morning Rumors: Canucks, Penguins, Sabres, Rangers, Flames, Devils, Leafs and Senators
- Updated: January 11, 2014
- Jason Brough of Pro Hockey Talk: Canucks GM Mike Gillis:
“I can tell you there is very little trade discussion going on anywhere,” Gillis said today on TEAM 1040 radio (audio). “It’s difficult to make trades when you have the cap lowered and teams’ financial resources under the cap have been used up.
“It’s tough to find trades that you can make that are going to improve your team. It’s tough to find anything but lateral moves and changing the deck chairs.
“But we’ll see. We’re trying. We’re always trying to improve and we’ll see if we can.”
- Kevin Allen of USA Today: The Penguins could use Pascal Dupuis’ LTIR cap relief to bring in a forward like: Matt Moulson, Mike Cammalleri, Olli Jokinen, Devin Setoguchi or Lee Stempniak. Look for the GMs to recommend extending OT during their GM meetings in March. May recommend extending to eight or 10 minutes in attempt to lessen the amount of shootouts. It would have to be approved by the competition committee and the Board of Govenors.
- Katie Strang of ESPN: (mailbag) Strang thinks the Sabres could get a 2nd round pick for Matt Moulson, maybe a 2nd and 3rd. Dustin Byfuglien is a right handed shot and the Rangers should use one of those.
- Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun: The Flames will likely be looking for young prospects and/or draft picks at the trade deadline for pending UFAs like: Mike Cammalleri, Matt Stajan, Lee Stempniak and Chris Butler. If someone is interested in taking Dennis Wideman’s contract off their hands, he could be moved as well.
- Randy Miller of NJ.com: Six pending UFAs that the Devils could look at, at the trade deadline: Paul Stastny, Matt Moulson, Mike Cammalleri, Olli Jokinen, Brad Boyes and Devin Setoguchi.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “I spoke to Nonis today. He’s open to anything either a blockbuster or a small trade. He wants a top line C, a big time winger or a top defenseman. Those are hard things to get. More likely, nothing will happen””
- Wayne Scanlan: Details are being worked on for a contract extension for Senators GM Bryan Murray and his assistant GMs, Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee.
- Bruce Garrioch: Sabres GM Tim Murray said on Hockey Central that they “will probably” remove the interim tag from head coach Ted Nolan soon.
- Hope Smoke: Bob McKenzie: “I don’t think Nonis has any appetite for a coaching change in season.” Hope Smoke: McKenzie did say they may still fire Carlyle during the season if the downward spiral continues. McKenzie doesn’t think a move will be made in season, but the Leafs effort and play will determine it.