Morning Rumors: Canes, Ducks, Rangers, Bruins, Sabres, Blues, Devils, Leafs, Jets, Isles and Capitals
- Updated: January 13, 2014
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Matheson wonders if the Hurricanes would consider trading Cam Ward. Ward has two years left at $6.3 million salary cap hit.
Speculation is that the Ducks are looking to upgrade their blueline, and are looking at Rangers Dan Girardi. They have assets like Luca Sbisa, Sheldon Souray, prospects and two first round picks (theirs and Ottawa’s).
The Bruins need a top-four defenseman and could include Adam McQuaid in a deal.
Could the Sabres deal Tyler Myers for offensive help?
The Blues could offer up Jaroslav Halak and a prospect or young forward for Ryan Miller. They won’t trade Dmitrij Jaskin.
- Tom Gulitti of the Bergon Record: Martin Brodeur is already thinking about next season, and he might be thinking about playing.
“My heart is,” Brodeur said today. “My body could be a different story. We’ll see.”
If he does return for another year, he realizes it may not be with the Devils.
“That’s something that more and more I see, regardless of if it’s wherever because I’m done after this year with my contract,” he said. “Depending on what’s going to happen in the next few months, if I feel my body’s (willing), I’ll see what’s best scenario for me if it’s back in New Jersey or somewhere else. That’s something the future will bring. But right now my heart is here to try to finish strong and prove that I can still be a big impact in hockey games.”
- The Fourth Period: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis has been looking for a top-six forward. Nazem Kadri, Jake Gardiner and Carl Gunnarsson are said to be being dangled. Cody Franson and James Reimer may also be available at the right price. Center Dave Bolland is expected to start skating this week. The Leafs and Oilers have scouted each other this season. The Oilers like Gardiner, and the Leafs could be looking at Sam Gagner. It’s thought that the Leafs could also be talking with the Jets about one of Andrew Ladd and Blake Wheeler.
- The Fourth Period: The Jets have had trade talks with the Penguins, Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Flyers, Red Wings, Bruins and others. They are actively shopping Evander Kane and Dustin Byfuglien, and have been getting calls on Andrew Ladd, Devin Setoguchi, Blake Wheeler and Zach Bogosian.
“Will further changes have to be made over the course of time? Sure,” Cheveldayoff told the local media, as quoted by the Winnipeg Free Press. “It’s just now trying to figure out what is going to be the best direction for those changes moving forward.”
- Arthur Staple: Contract talks between the Islanders and Thomas Vanek haven’t started, and he’s not concerned.
“I’m sure we’ll talk, but I’m trying to stay out of it,” Vanek said. “Until something gets close, I need to focus on the games.”
“We had just one baby then, so things were different,” he said. “I would be lying if I said it doesn’t come down to money and term. You’ve got to sell yourself for what you’re worth, because you can’t play forever. But at the same time, there are other concerns, like what’s best for my family.
“We’ve been on the road a lot, but when we’re home, the family has been with me [on Long Island]. We’ve taken the train to the city, things like that. It’s a new place and it’s nice. We loved Buffalo, too, even though everyone said we’d hate it. When you can call a place home, you start to find the good things about it.”
- Hope Smoke: Elliotte Friedman: “Leafs are better off missing the playoffs then making a bad trade”
- Chuck Gormley: Mikhail Grabovski’s agent, Gary Greenstin, was seen at the Capitals game again.