Morning Rumors I: Oilers, Sens, Flames, Pens, Devils, Sharks, Sabres, Coyotes, Rangers, Isles and Kings
- Updated: January 15, 2014
- Chris Stevenson: There are Ales Hemsky to Ottawa rumors. Stevenson would like to see the Senators go after Mike Cammalleri. He’s a friend of Jason Spezza, who could use a winger. Wayne Scanlan: Scanlan points out that GM Bryan Murray went after Cammalleri once before.
- Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: The Penguins have some cap space as the trade deadline approaches with Pascal Dupuis ($3.75 million) and Tomas Vokoun ($2 million) on the LTIR. They could use a top-six and third line upgrade.
- Randy Miller of NJ.com: Miller thinks the Devils should go after Canadiens Daniel Briere. Three reasons why he could end up in a Devils uniform: 1. Unhappy Camper 2. Good fit 3. My three sons – his three sons are living with his ex who is 90 minutes from Newark.
- The Fourth Period: It is thought that the Sharks would like to add a mobile defenseman and a depth forward who has some scoring ability. Reports are saying they’ve talked to the Rangers about Michael Del Zotto. If looking at rentals, options could be: Ales Hemsky, Ryan Smyth, Mike Cammalleri, Lee Stempniak, Matt Stajan, Brad Boyes and Matt Moulson.
- Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun: The Senators trading for Sabres Matt Moulson may make sense, but it may be too costly for the Sens. One executive said it may cost:
“A minimum of a first (round pick) and a top young player. And I’m not even sure they even want a first in this draft.”
The Senators are also rumored to be watching Oilers Ales Hemsky. The Sens may not be interested in Flames Mike Cammalleri. They are looking for a “bigger body-type guy” and not one who will be wanting a raise from his current $6 million. The Sens could look at Lee Stempniak, Devin Setoguchi or maybe David Perron.
- The Fourth Period: Fox Sports Arizona is reporting the Coyotes are looking for a physical defenseman and a scoring left winger.
“There are a lot of teams like us that might not be terribly happy with the way their team is playing, that might like to do something to shake it up,” Maloney told FOX Sports. “When you look at our record in the last little while, we could probably use a little change. But there are a number of factors that have trended this season to make it almost like football, where you see very few in-season deals.”
“I wouldn’t say there’s no trade talk,” Maloney said. “There’s all kinds of talk every day. That’s all we do. We talk to other teams about who’s hot, who’s not, who’s having a problem with who, but it really is a different market.
“With the cap being artificially lowered this year, so many teams are up against the cap, and then when you start adding in factors like contracts, contract length, age of players and the right fit on the ice and in the locker room, it’s very difficult to consummate trades.”
- The Fourth Period: Rangers GM Glen Sather has been making calls for weeks. He’s been getting calls on Dan Girardi and Michael Del Zotto. If the Rangers don’t think they can re-sign Girardi, they may look to move him. They would like to upgrade their blueline if they move either, and would like a top-six forward. Options could be: Michael Cammalleri, Ales Hemsky and Matt Moulson.
- Katie Strang: Islanders defenseman Andy MacDonald would be an attractive trade target for a contender looking to upgrade along their blueline.
- John Hoven: The Kings have been looking to acquire a defenseman and left winger. Things are heating up on the left winger front.
- David Pagnotta: Sounding like the Kings have something in the works. Whether they do it remains to be seen, but they are trying.
- John Hoven: There is no chance the Kings are trading Tyler Toffoli to the Sabres for Matt Moulson.
- L.A. Lariviere: Source saying there is no truth to the Canadiens and Devils talking trade involving Daniel Briere, “pure speculation.”
- Dennis Bernstein: Bernstein doesn’t think Ales Hemsky is the Kings answer.