Morning Rumors: Blue Jackets, Lightning, Capitals, Coyotes, Rangers, Jets, Oilers and Leafs
- Updated: January 21, 2014
- The Fourth Period: Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen is looking to bring in help for up front and on the blueline. They are looking for a top-six winger, a defensive-minded forward, and a defenseman. They could move some of their young pieces and/or some of their picks. They could be looking for players that are signed beyond this year. The Blue Jackets could be looking to trade Marian Gaborik as well if he is healthy by the deadline.
- Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune: Regarding a Toronto article that the Maple Leafs will go after Steven Stamkos if he becomes a UFA in 2016. Next January, the Lightning will start contract extension talks. They might take some time, but it will get done before the season ends. Erlendsson: “I’m 99.91 percent sure on this: Steven Stamkos will not reach the free-agent market.”
- Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post: The Capitals have sent Philipp Grubauer to the AHL, but how will it effect Michal Neuvirth’s request for a trade.
“I don’t think about it,” Neuvirth said. “My job is to play for the Washington Capitals. I’m focusing on playing for this team and I don’t worry about anything else.”
- The Fourth Period: The Coyotes are believed to be looking for a top-six forward and are looking at Sabres Matt Moulson and Stars Ray Whitney. Whitney’s no-movement clause lets him name 10 teams that he won’t go to. The Kings, Red Wings and Ducks are believed to be interested in Moulson.
- The Fourth Period: The Rangers are looking add a top-six forward and a mobile defenseman. A source is saying they have spoken with the Jets about their forwards such as: Evander Kane, Blake Wheeler and Andrew Ladd. Wheeler and Ladd have limited no-trade clauses. If the Jets were to move one of them, they would require at least a proven, young roster player.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: (mail bag) Matheson thinks there is no chance that they trade their 1st round draft pick this season as they they could be picking in the top three. They won’t draft Sam Reinhart as he’s not big enough. They should have taken Ryan Murray in 2012 when they drafted Nail Yakupov. Defenseman Aaron Ekblad might be able to play in the NHL next season. They also like Leon Draisaitl.The Oilers may have some interest in Dustin Byfuglien, but more as a forward than a defenseman. Matheson thinks the asking price would be more than just Sam Gagner. The Jets don’t really need more draft picks.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “Every time I ask is there a better chance that the Leafs consider the interest around in Reimer, the answer I get back is no” … “Not saying Reimer isn’t available, there is that same old song and dance with Nonis that he will move anyone for the right price.”
- Hope Smoke: Doug MacLean: “Edmonton must have a great summer. They need to do whatever possible to get a high end goalie like Hiller”