Morning Rumors: Canes, Oilers, Avs, Stars, Isles, Kings, Sens, Blue Jackets, Canucks and Flames
- Updated: 01/22/2014
- Elliotte Friedman of CBC: If John Tortorella’s reported $2 million salary is correct, his 15 day suspension should cost him about $82,000.
The Hurricanes and Oilers denied that they talked about Cam Ward.Sense is that teams would be surprised if Avalanche traded Ryan O’Reilly.
Stars Vernon Fiddler will also be in the rumor mill with Ray Whitney.
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Thomas Vanek has enjoyed playing with the Islanders, but LeBrun thinks he’ll get traded by the deadline.
“There’s no question he has liked his teammates, he has liked his coaches, has been impressed with [Isles GM] Garth Snow and management; two weeks into it he realized there was tons of positives that he liked,” Vanek’s agent, the veteran Stephen Bartlett, told ESPN.com Tuesday. “Does that mean that we’re ready to sign on the dotted line? No that’s still being discussed in a number of ways. They have to make a decision where he fits into their team structure … and Thomas has to decide whether at this stage of his career if that’s the best spot for him. But his decision in the end won’t reflect at all in the fact that he’s found way more positives than negatives about his experience on the Island. He’s had nothing but positives to say to me about the way he’s been treated.”
The Kings could use some scoring and could look at pending UFAs in Matt Moulson, Thomas Vanek and Mike Cammalleri. Sam Gagner could be an option, but he has two years left at $4.8 million, something the Kings may not be thrilled with. LeBrun thinks the Kings will go the rental route.
Source saying the Senators are interested in Matt Moulson. The Sens need to decide if they are buyers or sellers though.
- The Fourth Period: According to TSN, the Senators are looking at Sabres Matt Moulson. Pierre LeBrun on Insider Trading:
“A little bit of a connection with the Senators, as GM Bryan Murray’s nephew Tim Murray is now GM in Buffalo. Moulson’s a guy that if the Senators can stay in the playoff mix over the next few weeks, I believe they will make inquiries on him.”
Moulson is also getting interest from the Kings, Coyotes, Ducks, Rangers, Red Wings, Canadiens and some others.
- The Fourth Period: Speculation increasing that the Oilers will trade Ales Hemsky. The Oilers had several representatives at the Kings-Blue Jackets game. The Blue Jackets are looking for a top-six forward, but are also looking to clear some cap space. Oilers Sam Gagner, Ryan Smyth and Nick Schultz are also on the trade block.
- The Fourth Period: Teams are waiting to see what the Avalanche plan on doing with Ryan O’Reilly. TSN saying the Canucks are looking for a center. If the Avs decide to move O’Reilly, he’ll be one of the top players on the market. His trade freeze doesn’t lift until February 28th. The Avs may also look to move Paul Stastny. The Avs could use a top defenseman.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “It’s hard to imagine that O’Reilly gets moved because Roy loves him so much but he’s the type of guy other teams pay for.”
- Jason Gregor: Price on the Canucks: “They have said on the record that they will not repeat the Derek Roy trade (give up picks for rental).”
- Jimmy Murphy: Murphy wonders if the Bruins try to acquire a player like Ray Whitney for “Recchi-like influence of offense and experience.”
- Dennis Bernstein: Doesn’t think the Kings will make a trade in the next five games. Will use these games to help answer a lot of questions.
- Dennis Bernstein: Answering question about trading Dustin Brown after the Olympics: “with zero depth on LW only makes sense if you get 2 LW back.”
- Dennis Bernstein: Kings Matt Greene may be too banged up for them to trade him, and his value is low.
- Mike Heika: Scouting the Stars-Wild: Penguins, Blue Jackets, Coyotes and Sharks.
- Hockey Central: Panel talks about the Flames and possible contract extension for Mike Cammalleri. If they can’t sign him and decide to trade him, asking price will be a 1st round pick and prospect. The Kings, Sharks and Canucks could be interested in Cammalleri if he’s made available. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford said he has no interest in trading Cam Ward.