NHL Trade: Rangers Trade Del Zotto To Predators For Klein
- Updated: January 22, 2014
The New York Rangers have traded defenseman Michael Del Zotto to the Nashville Predators for defenseman Kevin Klein.
The 23-year old Del Zotto was drafted 20th overall in the first round of the 2008 draft by the Rangers. He carries a $2.55 million cap hit. He’ll be an RFA after this season.
The 29-year old Klein was drafted 37th overall in the second round of the 2003 draft by the Predators. He carries a $2.9 million salary cap hit for four more seasons after this one.
Thoughts from the media:
- Jim Diamond: “Intrigued that the Predators would feel the need to add D, when they are playing pretty well right now.”
- Andrew Gross: “Kevin Klein is a 6-foot-1, right-handed shot d-man. Rangers were looking for another right-hander.”
- Corey Pronman: “Kevin Klein’s a very average defenseman and maybe b avg who is 29 and signed for 4.5 more seasons at 2.9MM. Striking eval of MZD’s value.”
- Joe Yerdon: “That’s a couple of long-term deals Poile has tossed aside not long after signing them in Klein and Hendricks.”
- Darren Dreger: “Rangers have been looking for a right shot d-man for awhile. Vigneault’s influence also a factor from Canuck days facing the Preds.”
- Bob McKenzie: “NYR get reliable RS defender in Klein, with attractive cost certainty ($2.9M per thru to 2018). Also, insulation if Girardi goes to UFA.”
- Dirk Hoag: “Sending Klein out of town (for another D?) is a stunning development. He’s a capable stay-at-home type who soaks up PK time.”
- Dirk Hoag: “One quick thought: this allows the #Preds to go Weber/Jones/Ellis down the right side, and Josi/Del Zotto/Ekholm down the left.”
- Patrick Kearns: “Rangers needed more offense from back end. Not less. Although Klein light years better defensively and cheap through 2018.”
What are your thoughts on the deal? Who is the winner/loser?
Michael Del Zotto