Morning Rumors II: Brodeur, Vanek, Cammalleri, Red Wings, Senators, Leafs and Malone
- Updated: January 30, 2014
- Tom Gulitti of the Bergon Record: Though he’s “not at all” looking to be traded, Devils Martin Brodeur is open to the idea of waiving his no-trade clause.
“I’m open to anything,” Brodeur told me. “I just want to play. So, like I said in Toronto, if there’s a better situation for me, I’ll take it. If it’s here or somewhere else, it doesn’t matter.”
On not playing as much.
“I don’t think so unless in the next three weeks it goes worse than (it is),” Brodeur said of whether he’d ask for a trade. “We’ll see. But I don’t think I will ask.”
- Arthur Staple: Thomas Vanek’s agent, Steve Bartlett, said “We’re not there yet” with regards to re-signing with the Islanders or going to the open market.
- Roger Millions: Flames Mike Cammalleri said he’s had “great” talks with Brian Burke about his future.
- Scott Mitchell of the Calgary Sun: Flames Mike Cammalleri is set to return to the lineup, but he may not be there for long.
“I don’t know what’s going to happen,” Cammalleri said. “Brian has been really good with me. We’ve had a lot of communication, as far as talking about some different things. I’m not able to speculate on what may or may not happen yet, but as far as that goes, I think I just try and play the game the way I’ve always tried to play it, and that’s the best I can every day.”
- Ansar Khan of MLive: The Red Wings will likely wait until closer to the trade deadline to determine if they are buyers, sellers or are standing pat. It doesn’t look like the Red Wings will make a deal anytime soon.
“The phone is ringing a little bit; I’m calling a little bit,” Holland said. “With the Olympic break coming, I don’t sense a lot of activity.
“I talked to a few managers the last few days; there’s not much going on.”
“We have to play our way into being a buyer,” Holland said. “There’s no use spending assets unless we play our way into a buyer position.”
The trade market could include: Matt Moulson, Steve Ott, Ales Hemsky, Mike Cammalleri, Lee Stempniak, Devin Setoguchi, Brad Boyes and Thomas Vanek.
The Red Wings could be looking for a top-six forward or top-four defenseman, but there may not be too many of those types of players available.
- Ken Warren: Senators owner Eugene Melnyk said it is a “no brainer” that he’d spend another $2-$3 million if they need a rental to make the playoffs.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “Nonis will continue to listen until someone makes an offer that he can’t refuse. If not Kadri & others aren’t going anywhere.” … “the renovation that we call Toronto is far from over”
- Dennis Bernstein: (responding to question about Malone to LA) Bernstein doesn’t think Ryan Malone would waive his no-trade clause, plus he only has five goals in 37 games.