Injury Notes: Wings, Lightning, Sabres, Preds, Avs, Leafs, Canucks, Rangers, Ducks, Flames and Caps
- Updated: January 31, 2014
- Helene St. James: Red Wings Johan Franzen (concussion symptoms) will not be playing for Sweden at the Olympics.
- Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune: Lightning’s goalie Ben Bishop left last night’s game after being hit in the head by the skate of Nikita Kucherov. Valtteri Filppula also left last night’s game with a lower-body injury after a collision in the second. Both players said they felt better after the game, with Bishop passing the concussion protocol, with his minor headache lessening with time.
“It didn’t feel very good, a little bit of a headache, but it’s gotten better as the game went on,’’ said Bishop, who reported he has never been diagnosed with a concussion. “No dizziness, but I felt a little weak after I got hit. Hopefully I’ll wake up (Friday) and feel good and be able to practice.’’
- Ansar Khan of MLive: Red Wings Henrik Zetterberg hopes to return to the lineup tonight. Pavel Datsyuk is still out with his leg injury and will miss his 12th straight game.
- John Vogl of the Buffalo News: Sabres Matt Moulson left last night’s game in the third period after taking a slash/cross-check to the arm. They should know more today.
- AP on ESPN: Predators Shea Weber is day-to-day with an upper-body injury and didn’t skate yesterday. The Preds play tonight and tomorrow.
- Mike Chambers: Avs Paul Stastny suffered an ankle injury. Update should come today.
- Chris Johnston: Maple Leafs David Clarkson is still limited by elbow pain. David Alter: Clarkson still needs to have his stitches and staples removed from his elbow. Was to see team doctors again yesterday.
- Chris Johnston: Maple Leafs David Bolland hopes to play before the Olympic break, but isn’t confident that it will happen. Coach Randy Carlyle said it’s “50-50″ that Bolland returns before the break.
- Matthew Sekeres: Canucks Mike Santorelli will be out five to six months after having shoulder surgery. He is a pending UFA.
- Mike Vogl: No update on Capitals Mikhail Grabovski as he’s not traveling with team.
- Andrew Gross: Rangers Derek Dorsett has been out with broken fibula since Jan. 3rd. It carries a four to six week recovery, so he should be ready to play after the Olympic break.
- Eric Stephens: Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Nick Bonino is day-to-day. Boudreau thinks that he’ll be able to play before the Olympic break.
- Wes Gilbertson: Flames Mike Cammalleri wasn’t ready to go last night.
- Jim Jamieson: Canucks Tom Sestito practice after only 35 minutes yesterday with what looked like a hip flexor issue.
- Katie Carrera: Capitals Mike Green left last night’s game.
— Neil Greenberg (@ngreenberg) January 31, 2014