NHL Trade: Maple Leafs Trade Fraser to Oilers For Abney and Hartikainen
- Updated: January 31, 2014
The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded defenseman Mark Fraser to the Edmonton Oilers for right winger Cameron Abney and left winger Teemu Hartikainen.
The 27-year old Fraser was drafted 84th overall in the 3rd round of the 2005 draft by the Devils. He carries a $1.275 million salary cap hit.
The 22-year old Abney was drafted 82nd overall in the 3rd round of the 2009 draft by the Oilers.
The 23-year old Hartikainen was drafted 163rd overall in the 6th round of the 2008 draft by the Oilers.
Thoughts from twitter:
- Terry Jones: “Don’t know what the Oilers need with another No. 6-7 calibre low minutes defenceman. Got six or seven of them already. Short term toughness.”
- Mark Masters: “Mark Fraser had been a healthy scratch in 20 of Leafs last 22 games; last played Jan. 9 in Carolina”
- Chris Nichols: “Mark Fraser certainly has his shortcomings as a defenceman, but loves to hit and he’s not afraid to block shots. Third pairing guy.”
- 67 Sound: “Fraser was the 8th best D on one of the worst D corps in the league, made over twice league minimum ($350K over amount you can bury).”
- James Mirtle: “Overall a very good little move by Leafs, especially if Hartikainen ever returns to North America. Fraser would have cost cap space in AHL.”
- David Staples: “Good deal for #Oilers, though based on his AHL playoffs play last spring, Hartikainen ready to play in NHL as bottom line grinder.”
- Dan Tencer: “Fraser a good depth add…character, hard to play against. Fringe NHL d-man. Abney never going to play. Hartikainen a wise gamble for TML.”
- Bob Stauffer: “Abney needed to be included in the deal so the Oilers could stay at 48 contracts.”
- Bob Stauffer: “Fraser is a tough left shot D. Had off the charts luck to go +18 last season. Playing under 10 mins per game and -8 this season.”
- Gus Katsaros: “always impressed with Hartikainen .. projects to a good lower roster player if he can be brought back to N America.”
- Damien Cox: “If Fraser can find his game, he’ll give EDM some size and toughness, elements that team needs. Rejoins ex-Marlie teammate Scrivens, as well.”
- James Mirtle: “He would have likely been waived when Bolland returned. RT @DarrenDreger: Oilers acquire Mark Fraser from Leafs for Abner and Hartikainen.”
- Jonathan Willis: “As for Cameron Abney, that’s Toronto freeing a 50-man spot for Edmonton. Can’t imagine even the #Leafs would use him.”
- Jonathan Willis: “Interesting that the #Leafs have some time for Hartikainen – he’s been good in the KHL and I’ve wanted to see him get another NHL shot.”
Click for player stats