Morning Rumors: Miller, Wild, Caps, Oilers, Pens, Rangers, Vanek, MacDonald, Habs, Sharks and Callahan
- Updated: February 2, 2014
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: The Ryan Miller situation likely won’t be resolved until after the Olympic break, the asking price will be high, but there might be more teams involved. The Wild and Capitals are believed to be at the top of the list. Before Tim Murray took over as GM, it’s believed that Pat LaFontaine asked the Ducks for John Gibson and a 1st round pick for Miller. The Wild seem the most likely landing spot. Caps GM George McPhee is desperate to make a move and may offer more. Garrioch thinks the Kings and Canucks should at least see what the asking price is.
Expect the Oilers to try and move Ryan Jones, Nick Schultz, Corey Potter and Ales Hemsky.
The Penguins have some interest in Hemsky.
Rangers UFAs: Ryan Callahan, Brian Boyle, Benoit Pouliot, Dan Girardi and Anton Stralman. Derrick Brassard will be a RFA. A Brad Richards buyout is basically inevitable, and some others are likely to go as well. It’s doubtful the Rangers will give Callahan $6.85 million on a seven-year deal. The Blues, Wings and Kings need help up front. Dan Girardi wants $6 million a long-term deal.
The Islanders need to realize they are finished and need to look for a someone to trade for Thomas Vanek. They need to get a 1st round pick. Would think that if he wanted to re-sign with the Islanders, he would have done so by now. The Islanders have also been trying to trade Andrew MacDonald.
Colorado have been denying that they are wanting to trade P.A. Parenteau, but teams are calling. Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin has made three offers for Parenteau.
The Sharks have had contract extension talks with Dan Boyle, but there is no sense of urgency to get a deal done. There has been some trade interest in Boyle, but he’s doubtful to get traded. If he’s not re-signed, the Senators and Lightning could be interested this summer.
- Larry Brooks of NY Post: Brooks wonders if Blue Jackets include Cam Atkinson in a Callahan trade. Atkinson played with Chris Kreider at Boston College.
Looking like Thomas Vanek will end up testing the open market this summer.
The Kings are desperate for scoring, were interested in signing Marian Gaborik as a free agent in 2009, but not when the Rangers were shopping him last year.
- Katie Strang of ESPN: Trade talks is likely going to increase surrounding Ryan Callahan.
“I’m not going to talk about that stuff now,” he said. “I don’t think it’s productive to the process, the negotiations or anything.”
- Pat Leonard of the NY Daily News: Only one team has been given permission to speak with Ryan Callahan about a contract extension. No hard deadline is in place.
“My focus is to continue to talk to the Rangers and deal with the Rangers,” Bartlett said by phone on Saturday, adding that he is “optimistic” and that Callahan will make any final decision. “We won’t close any doors.
“I respect that they have to make the best decision for the team, and I know they respect I have to make the best decision for my player.”
That team is not the Blue Jackets, who have been reported to have interest.
- John Vogl of the Buffalo News: The Sabres have not inquired about Ryan Callahan according to a source.
- Randy Miller on NJ.com: It is possible that the Devils trade Martin Brodeur, but he hopes to stay.
“We’ll see,” Brodeur told NJ.com. “I don’t expect anything to happen and I hope not. The next three weeks or four weeks, we’ll know.”
- Dennis Bernstein: Non-regular scouts at the Flyers – Kings game: Flames, Jets and Lightning.
- Aaron Portzline: Scouting the Blue Jackets – Panthers: Penguins (2), Sharks and Rangers.